Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone that has installed Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/17's have a grinding noise when turning a corner too fast? It mostly happens when I am getting on or off the interstate on the ramps. If I go just over 30mpg there is a grinding like noise which only started after I put on the new tires. I also have spacers and a 2 1/2 in lift on it. All the welds were grinded down and wheel wells cut out to accommodate the tires. I obviously so much slower now, but was just wondering what that noise might be?? The tire traction control sometimes come on when the noise is also being made.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The electronic stability control is kicking in.
It is seeing a potental understeer condition and it tries to create a oversteer by applying the front brakes a bit.
That is why you are seeing the traction control lamp for a moment.....it is telling you a intervention is taking place.
Your lifting of the vehicle increases the sensitivity of the system since your center of gravity is now higher......hence, a slightly higher possibility of a rollover.

You can shut the tcs down to reduce/prevent this but I suspect you are maybe going into the corner a bit too fast and the system is saving you from yourself.

Take heed of the warning the system is providing.

Rob

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Did you recalibrate the computer for the new tire sizes? If not, the ESP may kick in at odd times because the differential in wheel speeds between left/right and front/rear when going around a curve won't match with that the computer thinks it should be based on vehicle speed, thereby thinking you are starting to slide or slip and kicking in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matt, would who would be able to re caibrate the system?? How much does it cost? Would the place I bought the tires from do that or would I have to take it to a dealership? Thanks for the input guys! It just seems to be going off at odd times, like mentioned above and a lot of places that is not needed. I guess I can just turn it off though, thanks agian.

Nate

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
As long as your jeep doesn't have the 3.7L you can get a programmer (im using the superchips flashpaq) to reprogram the speedo. It has some other useful features as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the 3.7 :( I guess im beat ???
I usually press the tcm off, so i can drive it like i stole it... I dont like a computer telling me not to wheel my 52,000.00 toy :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Man if you paid 52,000 for a 3.7L commander you got ripped off. My optioned out Limited/Hemi had an msrp of ~45k. (I saved 23k by buying used... so I didn't need to put stickers on it. :))

There's been talks recently about someone coming out with a programmer for the 3.7... don't remember if anyone's tried it yet

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, I really hope you reversed the 2 and 5 by mistake! Anyway, I, too, have experienced the grinding noise with my lift/tire setup. I attributed it to either tires rubbing or traction control. However, it sounds awful. I'm glad to see some posts assuring me that it's nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have the 3.7 :( I guess im beat ???
I usually press the tcm off, so i can drive it like i stole it... I dont like a computer telling me not to wheel my 52,000.00 toy :)
$52,000??? Surely you meant $32,000... If not, I have this bridge.......... lol ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts