Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2006 Commander LTD had a dying 94R battery. 94R batteries are expensive (2x the price of a Group 65), less powerful (120 less CCAs of a Group 65) and were difficult for me to find, so I wanted to switch to a Group 65 battery. I searched on this board and a ton online and it seems there really is NO substitute and not a lot of correct info available. Back in the OLD DAYS you could substitute batteries if you had some slack in your battery cables, similar dimensions and had a top-mount bar hold-down. Nowadays it's different and vehicle manufacturers have designed the bottom battery tray to mate very closely to the battery's base contour for a secure fit and tight hold.
If you have a Group 94R sized battery you cannot simply replace it with a Group 65 battery. The HxWxL dimensions are close, but close isn't good enough. The bottom battery contour with it's little bumps and molded-in notches is also not a match.
I purchased a Group 65 battery at Costco, brought it home and there were two problems I encountered:
1) the battery poles (on a 94r compared to a 65) are reversed. My commander has the POS cable on the passenger side and NEG on the drivers side. There is not enough give in the cables to get them to connect, even if you rotate the battery 180 degrees.
2) the battery tray in my particular 06 Commander was molded in such a way that the tray tolerances are very, very tight and only fit a 94R battery. The Group 65 battery is 5/8" wider and therefore will not securely fit into the molded battery hold-down notches. If you think you can get the one bolt-down side to latch onto the battery to give you a secure fit, it simply won't work, the battery will have too much play and will wobble around.

I ended up finding the 94R battery at a Wal*Mart for around $75... half the price of auto and battery retailers. Consumer Reports rated the Wal*Mart batteries favorably, so that was a bonus.

Group 94R and 65 Dimension Comparison:

Group Size: 65
Voltage: 12
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) @ 0°F: 850
Cranking Amps @ 32°F: 1000
Reserve Capacity (minutes): 150
Terminal Type: SAE top post
Length (in.): 12
Width (in.): 7-9/16
Height (in.): 7-9/16
Weight (lbs.): 48

Group Size: 94R
Voltage:12
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) @ 0°F: 730
Cranking Amps @ 32°F: 912
Reserve Capacity (minutes): 140
Terminal Type: SAE top post
Length (in.): 12-7/16
Width (in.): 6-15/16
Height (in.): 7-1/2
Weight (lbs.): 45

Hope this helps someone searching for info.
BTW, the Group 48 battery dimensions are a great match but is too underpowered for the V8 + accessories of a loaded XK, IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Good information. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Why not put a Group 34 battery in? A few of us have Optima batteries in our XKs.

:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I got the Sears DieHard International battery.
765 CCA
36mo 100% replacement warranty
100 mo prorated warranty
151.xx installed. (includes 14.99 to install)
type 48

·
Registered
51 Posts
group 94r batt

I just had a 94r installed at Les Schwab for 118.95. One question i have is now the dtc is showing code 0563= high voltage. What gives? anyone know why? Thanks

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Did you get this answered?
pablo618 group 94r batt
---------------------------------------------------
I just had a 94r installed at Les Schwab for 118.95. One question i have is now the dtc is showing code 0563= high voltage. What gives? anyone know why? Thanks

·
Registered
953 Posts
I should update my previous reply. I think a Group 35 battery should work well in the XK. It has reverse terminals that are way out on the edges of the battery instead of towards the center like the Group 34.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts