Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I just had a quick question about H.I.D. headlights. I recently installed them in my '08 Commander and at first I was having an issue where if I turned them off, the next time I turned them on only one would work unless I disconnected the ballast on the one that was not on and reconnected it. Then it would work again just fine. Well that stopped as far as I can tell, but the problem I am having is that when I turn them off both lights kind of put on a light show of sorts. What I mean is that they look like if I had strobe lights on. That goes on for like 20 seconds then stops. Could it be something as simple as a relay? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Are you using a relay? What hid kit did you use? The OEM headlights are controlled by the CAN/BUS system, not a simple 12v on/off switch, so if you didn't integrate a relay your ballasts will be receiving mixed signals from the computer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No I am not using a relay right now, and thanks for letting me know about how the OEM headlights are controlled. I didn't know that, but I will install the relay as soon as I can. Thank you Kansas. I also found these http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Er...minator-3-PAIR do you think these would work or should I just buy a relay instead? Today actually it happened again that only one bulb would turn on until I unplugged it and plugged it back in. I am not getting a code or anything but I thought I would ask.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've been running DDM's 35W kit for awhile now and with a standard automotive relay and a good lead from the battery I've never had any issues (knock on wood). Just Google "HID relay" and you should be good to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts