Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Westin driving lights that I'd like to install on my Commander. The thought crossed my mind about replacing the regular bulbs with a real HID kit. So I was wondering whether HID H3 bulbs will fit in the housing of my driving lights since, for example, the new bulbs can be longer. Also, do HID bulbs generate any more heat than halogens? I know they draw less current.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Here's kit I bought to convert a set of driving lights: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230313208383&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=

The lights I've converted are inset into the bumper on my motorcoach. The lights are done, but still need installed. (I'm replacing the set that's already there) The weather's been too crappy to lay down under the coach to get it done.

Anyway, the H3 kit's 'bulbs' are about 1/4'' longer than the halogens they replace. This kit will be the third one I've bought from the same seller. I don't think they run much hotter then halogens. I haven't had any problems with sticking the HID's into factory light housings, despite their being plastic.

You might run into a problem only if the light fixture has a filament shield. You'll have to make sure the HID element doesn't cram into that. If there's no shield, there's no problem.

·
Registered
862 Posts
HID running current

Oh yeah, their current draw. We ran tests here at the shop. The ballast surges at around 18 amps, but only for about one second. It then runs about 8 to 10 amps and falls off as the HID element ‘’ramps up’’ to its full brightness. The current then settles at 3.8 amps for a 35 watt HID ‘bulb’ and that’s consistent with several HID’s we tested. It might take 20 or 30 seconds for the current to drop to that 3.8 amps.

One thing that’s VERY nice about HID’s… once the arc is fired off, battery voltage makes NO DIFFERENCE. The ballast compensates, and will hold a stable arc down to about 9.5 to 10 volts. In other words, if your alternator fails, and your battery is dying, the HID’s will NOT dim at all. They will eventually drop out and quit, and not restart, but your battery will be dead as a doornail by then anyway. So… you can keep going for a while with a dead alternator.

The reverse is true, if your power supply lacks, they HID’s might not start. Remember that 18 amp surge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts