Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up our (my wife's) new 08 Commander last Saturday with 13 miles on it. We've had several Cherokees (5), Grand Cherokees (5) and Wranglers (4) over the years, but never a Commander.

We left Tuesday to visit family for Thanksgiving and pulled back in to the driveway this afternoon with 1,613 miles.

The 4.7 is full of power and sounds good too. My wife will not let me take it off road, so hard to rate it there, but on road it is great. We folded down the back seat for the dog and the kids rode in the middle. It did not come with rear DVD, but I was able to "update" the mygig software (to version 8.4) to allow the DVD to play up front. That worked out well for the kids. It does not have navigation, but we picked up a Nuvi 260. I will probably purchase the lockpick and rear DVD at some point though.

It has the the new 4.7 and averaged 19.7 mpg according to the computer. That was with a Yakima SkyBox 18 on the top and a Thule Terrapin on the back, both loaded full of stuff. I'm amazed! My 08 Wrangler only gets about 16.5 mpg, empty.

We did notice a couple of squeaks and rattles. Something rattles in the front left dash over bumps and the accelerator pedal squeaks a bit. The steering wheel shakes/vibrates at speeds over 70 mph. We also noticed the trim around the MyGIG is bent in a couple of places. Looks like the dealer must have swapped out units at some point and did not take a lot of care when removing it. Guess we will see what the dealer is able to fix out of those items.

I'm looking forward to our Christmas trip and hopefully getting in to some snow!

·
Registered
98 Posts
^^ I have a 2006 with the 4.7L.

I get the same mileage your report (about 19 mpg highway), and that’s with the same Yakima box on top that you are using. In fact my mileage has been the same with and without the Yakima box in place. :icon_confused: I’m not sure why this is.

I only get about 12 mpg in the city.

I don’t have any of the rattles or problems you report. That's driving at 80+ mph.

You are going to love the Commander in the snow. It’s just great in this environment.

--Spike

PS: Nice pics. That makes your posting much more interesting.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
welcome to the commander family.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Congratulations! I recently took a trip and got 20.1 mpg (4.7) including driving thru some some towns. I love the Commander, it's great!

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
To go offroading I recommend this:
1. Get a hand held GPS.
2. Get your wife interested in Geocaching (if she's the least bit competitive, she'll love it).
3. Find some caches to get her hooked.
4. Go find those caches that require offroad-ability!

That was my method and it worked like a charm!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum from the beautiful Ozark mountains!

My wife hates when I take mine off road too.

Did your wife ever go off road with you in any of the other Jeeps?
She does not mind when I take my Jeep off road, the problem is taking her Jeep off road. I try to go wheeling every other month. She makes most of the trips.

I started talking about lifts and bumpers for her Commander....she just laughed...

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
To go offroading I recommend this:
1. Get a hand held GPS.
2. Get your wife interested in Geocaching (if she's the least bit competitive, she'll love it).
3. Find some caches to get her hooked.
4. Go find those caches that require offroad-ability!

That was my method and it worked like a charm!
I can get my wife to go anytime with this little trick! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I can get my wife to go anytime with this little trick! :rofl:
We love to use multi-million dollars satellites (and our Jeep) to find tupperware in the woods - on top of the highest mountains where billy-goats fear to tread.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You guys are so fortunate you can convince your wives to go offroading! I think I need to change my wife oops....correction I think I need to change my style! LOL

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Also, I figured out that if there is a place I want to go offroading, I can get the wife to go by suggesting we PLACE a geocache there! No longer limited by where other people put them!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts