Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP I cannot get the half shaft out

So the day I bought our commander I noticed it a clunking in the suspension. The next day when I glanced under the truck to see what might be causing it I noticed I was getting a bit of grease tossed out onto the truck.

Upon further inspection I found that the outer CV boot had torn right where it meets the metal edge. I now have lots of grease thrown out and have started to develop fun noises when I let off the gas on that side and tire, so I ordered a re-manufactured one in.

I'm now getting ready to replace both the lower control arm and half shaft on that side (bushings appear to be shot as well), and am looking for any tips and/or suggestions.

I've worked on CV shafts before, had to replace 4 or 5 over the years, but wanted to make sure I don't miss anything special on the commander.

Do I need to keep the side I'm pulling the shaft from elevated to prevent pouring out the front differential fluid?

Anyone know what size of socket I'll need to pull the nut off the threaded end of the half shaft?

Any other items to pay special attention to?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HELP I cannot get the half shaft to come out of the front differential, how are you supposed to remove it? Pry bars or a slide hammer?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well I will attempt to give you some help. To your first question, what is the size socket you would need to remove the nut from the axle shafts....It is 1 3/8" or 35 MM. You should only have to gently pry on the axle shafts to remove them from the differential. If you get on the superlift.com website, read the directions for disassembly/installation of the 4in lift, that will tell you what you need to do and list all the torques required for reassembly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The socket I used was a 36 mm (had to call the dealer and ask), and the half shaft will not come out easily or otherwise. I'm starting to think I might have to open the diff to find out what's going on.

No instructions on the superlift site.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
REMOVAL

1. With vehicle in neutral, position vehicle on hoist.
2. Remove half shaft hub/bearing nut.
3. Remove wheel speed sensor (1) nut (2) from hub/bearing (3) and remove sensor (1).

4. Remove brake calipers bolts (2) and remove calipers (1) from caliper adapters (4).

5. Remove lower stabilizer link (3) bolt (6) from control arm.

6. Remove outer tie rod end nuts and separate tie rods (3) from knuckles (4) with Remover 8677 (5).

7. Remove upper ball joint nuts (4) and separate ball joints (2) from knuckles (3) with Remover 8677.

8. Remove shock clevis (3) bolt and nut (4) from lower control arm
9. Lean the knuckle out and push half shaft out of the hub/bearing.
10. Pry half shafts from axle/axle tube with pry bar.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
CV Joint Boot Inner

REMOVAL

1. Clamp shaft in a vise (with soft jaws) and support C/V joint (1).
2. Remove clamps with a cut-off wheel or grinder.
3. Slide boot down (2) the shaft.

4. Remove lubricant from housing (1) to expose the C/V snap ring (2) and remove snap ring.

5. Remove bearings (4) from the cage (1).

6. Rotate cage (1) 30° and slide cage off the inner race (2) and down the shaft (3).

7. Remove spread inner race (1) snap ring (4) and remove race (1) from the shaft (3).

8. Remove boot from the shaft and discard.

9. Clean and inspect housing (1), cage (2), bearings (3), housing snap-ring (4), inner race snap-ring (5) and inner race (6) for wear or damage.

CV Boot Outer
REMOVAL

NOTE: CV joint is serviced with the shaft, the boot can be serviced separately

1. Remove inner CV boot and joint.
2. Cut outer CV boot (5) clamps (2,4).
3. Cut boot off CV housing (1) and shaft (3).

N·m Ft. Lbs.
135 100

HALF SHAFT

CLAMP INSTALLER C-4975-A

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've disassembled everything according to the instructions, but the half shaft will not pry out of the differential. It seems to be fastened in somehow.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I just installed the rc lift on my driver side and to my horror I noticed later on that there were some bearings 5 of them on the floor near my front bumper , I did not tear any cv boots at all and they are in one piece . I do use alot of equipment in my driveway so it could be from something else but if someone could please let me know what you think I would appreciate it . here is a picture of the bearings
I can't think of a thing on your Commander that would use ball bearings that small.

Rob

PS.....To me, they look like front bearing balls from a bicycle or the balls from a front fork pivot....bicycle or small motor scooter....something that uses uncaged bearings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having the same problem, what they are not understanding is the problem of getting the housing/shaft that actually goes into the the third-member. I have the cv shaft out that went into that housing but cant figure out how to get the housing shaft out. Its held in with a c clip. I have the diff cover off but there is no way to access the c-clip. I don't know where to go from here. Did you ever figure it out?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I'm having the same problem, what they are not understanding is the problem of getting the housing/shaft that actually goes into the the third-member. I have the cv shaft out that went into that housing but cant figure out how to get the housing shaft out. Its held in with a c clip. I have the diff cover off but there is no way to access the c-clip. I don't know where to go from here. Did you ever figure it out?
Using a pair of pry bars, get between the c/v cup and third member and firmly 'rock/pry' the cup away from the housing......it'll disengage when you least expect it.
There is a circular (if viewing it from cross section) ring encirculing the c/v cup and prying the cup causes the ring to compress fully into the relief in the cup.
This is the same type retention found in any front drive auto......as you found out, the cover need not be removed.

Rob

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
And if its still a PITA, push inwards, rotate 90 degrees and try again.... repeat as necessary. The C clip will seat into the retention groove easier if the open end is facing downwards... so rotating it a few times to get it in that position saves a lot of trouble.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've pulled my R/H CV half shaft out twice now to replace with new CV's. The reason for this is I've given my Commander a beating out on the trail and the outer CV cage has cracked (twice now).
As described by Robby & Matt_ its a C Clip around the CV shafts inner end that seats into a grove on the Diff shaft. My R/H CV came out with the diffs extension shaft attached. I then put the extension shaft in a vice and gave it a good sharp hit with a big rubber malet, that made then two separate.
You just need a sharper motion on the pry bars.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts