Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm here because i was raised in an age of ignition points when electronic ignitions were magic.
I've got an 2008 Jeep Commander and was thinking about putting in some Halogen bulbs. (I drive a lot of country roads in Colorado)
First, a friend gave me some he didnt use that he got off E-Bay. Definately look Chinese. They consist of a set of 100 watt lows and 100 watt highs. Does any one think that these might be a problem mechanically?
Also, they were supposed to have some type of high temp conducting grease included to put on the plug connectors but to no avail none were in the box. Can anyone recommend a "best" greese to use for this?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Seems like the brightest halogen relacements are Sylvania Silver Star Ultras. Other than that , the replacements would go to HIDs, which in my opinion the conversion is more trouble and money than it is worth.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I'm here because i was raised in an age of ignition points when electronic ignitions were magic.
I've got an 2008 Jeep Commander and was thinking about putting in some Halogen bulbs. (I drive a lot of country roads in Colorado)
First, a friend gave me some he didnt use that he got off E-Bay. Definately look Chinese. They consist of a set of 100 watt lows and 100 watt highs. Does any one think that these might be a problem mechanically?
Also, they were supposed to have some type of high temp conducting grease included to put on the plug connectors but to no avail none were in the box. Can anyone recommend a "best" greese to use for this?
Thanks
I would not even use these. I would go with what Smitty1970 said and go with the SilverStar Ultras. You can purchase these at Walmart, AutoZone, etc. Installation is very simple, and you should not need any grease. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I personally wouldnt install them, I havent heard to many great things on bulbs bought from ebay unless they were a know brand. If you decide to go with the SilverStar Ultras then check out this post, it might save you a few bucks :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Response

Thanks for the info guys.
Sounds like i'll leave these in the box and look at the Sylvania's.
No need to tempt fate! :grim:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The Headlamp Assemblies are plastic, I would NOT use anything that you are NOT 100% positive are direct replacement lamps that will NOT get any hotter than direct replacement lamps will. Most DOT legal headlamp bulbs are 55/65 Watt Low/Hi beams, 100 Watt is likely to run a lot hotter.

Halogen usually runs hotter, and if you've got some NON-DOT legal headlamps that are higher wattage than DOT Legal, its reasonable to assume they would get hotter than DOT legal.

Xenon is the latest fad, I really don't pay attention to the hype they print on the boxes, its all about the total light output.

From my research, a couple of years ago, GE NightHawks are the brightest Street Legal Lamps, maybe the PIAA lamps. Things may be different today.

I put GE NightHawks in my Neon R/T, Sylvania Silver Stars in my Grand Caravan. The GE NightHawks seem to be brighter and extend a little further. BUT, the Silver Stars produce a higher temperature light, that is more pleasing to the eye, subjectively it does seem you can see thing close up to some distance away, much better. But I can see farther down the road with the GE NightHawks.

You can find SilverStars just about everywhere, GE NightHawks, I can't find them in any brick & mortar stores, I had to order them off the internet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts