Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well up here in Alberta we have a "distracted driving" law which states its illegal to even hold a cell phone when driving.

therefore after ignoring it for so long i decided i want to get a handsfree kit.

now i have the base model stereo in my 06 and i really would like a "car kit" instead of a visor mounted handsfree setup

what are you guys useing for hands free?

FYI i have an Iphone. so it must be compatable

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Honestly, a headset is the best way to go unless you want to swap out the radio for a BT enabled one. You can also buy the OnStar rearview mirror kit that has built in BT.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I have Uconnect that came with the stock stereo system. it's completely hands free, all I have to do is say answer or hit the phone button on my rear view mirror.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have Uconnect that came with the stock stereo system. it's completely hands free, all I have to do is say answer or hit the phone button on my rear view mirror.
Does anybody know if I can just buy a U-Connect mirror setup and get the Bluetooth and handsfree functionality?

Mine is an '06 limited with the RAQ (single-DIN with nobs, No Nav)

TIA

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If you buy the add on U-Connect assessor it will come with a stick on microphone, no need to get the special rear view mirror.

Look up the U-Connect kit in the mopar accessories catalog, it should list the radios it will work with. I don't think it will work the RAQ, I had the REQ radio that it works with, the REQ has hands free buttons on it (didn't work without the Uconnect kit) the RAQ radio doesn't have those buttons.

Don't bother with the iPod features and extras for U-Connect, they don't work, Chrysler won't keep up with the firmware updates for iPods, so any iPod that has had its firmware updated in the last 5 years won't work with it.

Keep in mind, a new U-Connect has to be enable with the Dealer wiTECH tool, meaning even if you install it yourself, it won't work until you go into the dealer and pay them to turn the unit on. If you get a used one, its already been turned on and will work as soon as you install it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks Mongo.
So, let me get this straight: to get the U-Connect, I'd need to replace the stereo with something other than the RAQ, and then buy the U-Connect add-on with microphone, which then needs to be enabled at the dealer.

sunnuva....

All I'm really trying to do it get a good hands-free phone system.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I'm making guesses, I put my U-Connect in years ago, so I could be wrong on those, you need to look it up yourself.

You can go aftermarket, either aftermarket radio with built in hands free or just a stand alone hands free kit. There are dozens of stand alone devices that simply clip to the visor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts