Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Commander 5.7, 40k

I read a lot of threads for this problem. I notice that when I am slowing down, when I get to about 20 miles per hour my commander does a noticeable hard down shift. I read a lot of people have this issue, my wife's 2008 does not do this, but hers is a 3.7l.

Is this normal and I should stop worrying? Or is there a fix/TSB for this issue. I read on some posts people claim there is a TSB, but I could not find one for this issue and they did not post a number. The only one I saw was a TSB concerning a delay after sitting, but mine doesn't do that.

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
First things first, Do you have two commanders?
Looks to me like he has a 2006 Jeep Commander with the 5.7 HEMI and his wife has a 2008 Jeep Commander with 3.7 liter.

My Commander used to have that down shift all the time. It did it from the day of purchase until the day I lifted it with larger tires. Hasn't done it since. So for an easy fix.....spend $250 on a 2 inch spacer lift and some larger tires and you wont have to worry about the hard down shift. Not only that but your Commander will like awsome too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes 2008 3.7 and 2006 5.7, not really important. I noticed a good many people had this issue in old posts, and wondered what the final result was. Normal or needed fixed?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Read my last post...I think we posted at the exact same time.

Thats how I fixed my hard down shift. haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Read my last post...I think we posted at the exact same time.

Thats how I fixed my hard down shift. haha
Yeah, I seen that fixed it for others, but it is not an option for me because it wouldn't fit in my garage then.

·
1,993 Posts
Yes 2008 3.7 and 2006 5.7, not really important. I noticed a good many people had this issue in old posts, and wondered what the final result was. Normal or needed fixed?
No your wrong sir that was an important questions because thats just bad A**:bowdown:

Now I've read a few different fixes for this problem which I myself have this issue from time to time and I have the lift already so that won't help me. Have your trans reprogrammed or flashed as they might call it. Also have the trans service done or throw a lift on that solved the problem for 07JeepXK.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yeah, I seen that fixed it for others, but it is not an option for me because it wouldn't fit in my garage then.
Hmmmm. Is the top of your Commander really that close to hitting the top of garage door opening? Adding a lift and taller tires would only make you sit about 3 1/2 inches taller. Park your XK half way in the garage and see if a pop can will fit between the tallest part on your XK and the opening of the garage door. I thought mine was a tight fit until I tried this. I could easily clear a pop can and I have a 2 inch lift and 32 inch tires with normal size garage door. You would be surprised. Do you have roof rails?

·
Registered
275 Posts
No your wrong sir that was an important questions because thats just bad A**:bowdown:

Now I've read a few different fixes for this problem which I myself have this issue from time to time and I have the lift already so that won't help me. Have your trans reprogrammed or flashed as they might call it. Also have the trans service done or throw a lift on that solved the problem for 07JeepXK.

x2. Check fluid lvl as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found this after searching for hours, does this sound right? If so everyone should have the issue.

the 545RFE transmission are known for the bump when slowing down. Part of the shift logic is to downshift from 3rd to 1st. Due to the layout of the gears inside the transmission an actual 3-2 downshift is not possible without an intermittent loss of drive, a 3-2p (2nd prime) only happens when you floor it and basically acts as a second 2nd gear (different gear ratio than the 2nd gear from a 1-2 upshift) This is where the bump comes in, if you are hard on the brakes and are stopping quickly, the 3-1 shift occurs quickly and you feel the shift. If you are stopping gradually you are less likely to feel it, if at all. So if you are planning on letting the dealer take your tranny apart, waste of time, and then youve had dirty hands inside your transmision. The V6 models have shifting issues in general, that can't be dealt with. You must all know that the NAG1 transmission as DCX calls it and is only used behind the V6 Jeeps and the Hemis, debuted in the E or C class Mercedes Benz in 1991. The rest is history, you are propelled by 15 year old machinery. Its new to Chrysler, but ancient technology to the Germans.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That is the first thing I did, and it looks clean and there is no smell.
Don't forget the x2 on Sal's quote. get reflashed at a dealer for new updates on the tranny. Alot of quirkiness can be cured with the flash. That's also a nice techincal article explaining why it happens from James. I've never knew the cause of that hard downshift. It was happening on mine as well.

I've got a whole new transmission now cause I pretty much ruined mine on my last off road trip.

It was slighly low on fluid so when climbing extreme hills the fluid would go to the back of the pan and cause issues. This triggered my tranny to go into limp mode which switched to 4th. Without the fluid though i was just grinding on the gear/clutches on 4th gear and the XK wouldn't go anywhere. I wasn't that persistant on trying to make it go when it wouldn't but that was enough to screw it up. Required a rebuild or new tranny. Got a new one with 100k warranty.

Enough of my story.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2006 Commander 5.7, 40k

I read a lot of threads for this problem. I notice that when I am slowing down, when I get to about 20 miles per hour my commander does a noticeable hard down shift. I read a lot of people have this issue, my wife's 2008 does not do this, but hers is a 3.7l.

Is this normal and I should stop worrying? Or is there a fix/TSB for this issue. I read on some posts people claim there is a TSB, but I could not find one for this issue and they did not post a number. The only one I saw was a TSB concerning a delay after sitting, but mine doesn't do that.

Thanks for any help.
I can't figure it. Please post some videos so that I can easily figure it out. I"ll wait for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts