Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw several threads close to this one but not exact so I thought I would post my issue to try and get a little help.

I went to my jeep this morning, it was cold last night, turned the key and it cranked strong. Never fired. I tried again and the same. Then I could hear the engine try to fire as if it was getting a little gas. But it never started. After about 10 turns total, it finally fired and stared.

Anyone else have this same issue and solved it?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Fuel Pump

Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key on and not crank it? If you turn the key on and leave it on for 10 sec., turn it off, turn it on again and it starts right up it could be the fuel pump or the check valve in the fuel pump.

Swanny

(could be or not)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can hear the fuel pump kick on and pressurize the system. I turn it over and it tries to start and fires and sputters but wont start. Ealier today I got it to start, but now it wont start, still fires and sputters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After a bunch of research, I think it may be the CPS. Has anyone else experienced this issue of a no start with a bad CPS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

So I got into my engine yesterday to try and find out why it wasn't starting. I took the engine cover off and found it was packed with dog food. Never seen anything like it.

Upon further inspection I realized that the jeep would start with a jump but would not fire on its own. Even though it cranked fine the entire time.

I took of the hook up to the Crank Position Sensor cleaned it and put it back in place. I cleaned and de-oxidized all the ground straps I could find. And of coarse removed all the dog food.

Now, the jeep starts right up without hesitation. Not exactly sure what fixed it but it seems to be fixed.

I did notice one thing. If i press on the gas pedal, the jeep wont start on the first try. Thought that was sort of weird.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Dog

If you have a 5.7 I wouldn't think it would be a dog, so you must have some smaller furry friends helping you under the hood.

What brand of dog food was it?

Swanny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts