Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So i just replaced my front driveshaft on my Commander 2007 4.7 Limited. Last one was causing subtle vibrations and the boot of CV joint was bad. I got the replacement shaft (full) and got it installed. Now that when i drive, i dont feel the subtle vibration as i was experiencing before but as soon as it goes above 70kph, it starts vibrating like crazy. like it shakes the whole car and sounds bad too. like someone is drilling in concrete.

I tried looking on the internet to see what is causing the issue but no luck.

One mechainc is saying that the foundation of the front differential is causing this vibration but it was not this bad with the old shaft. its really very hard vibration. like the vehicle would break into pieces any moment now. until 70kph is perfectly fine.

anything comes into mind? Anything specific i should look for? Maybe the mechanic didn't install the shaft properly and reinstalling would solve something?

looking forward to see some responses.

Best,
Faisal

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey guys,
So i just replaced my front driveshaft on my Commander 2007 4.7 Limited. Last one was causing subtle vibrations and the boot of CV joint was bad. I got the replacement shaft (full) and got it installed. Now that when i drive, i dont feel the subtle vibration as i was experiencing before but as soon as it goes above 70kph, it starts vibrating like crazy. like it shakes the whole car and sounds bad too. like someone is drilling in concrete.

One mechainc is saying that the foundation of the front differential is causing this vibration but it was not this bad with the old shaft. its really very hard vibration. like the vehicle would break into pieces any moment now. until 70kph is perfectly fine.

anything comes into mind? Anything specific i should look for? Maybe the mechanic didn't install the shaft properly and reinstalling would solve something?

Best,
Faisal
I assume the mechanic means the differential bushings when they say "foundation." I've never heard of that causing vibrations under load, but I guess if you had multiple bad ones it could happen. Sounds to me like the new drive shaft is out of balance. Did you have one made or is it an off the shelf piece?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys,

Best,
Faisal
I assume the mechanic means the differential bushings when they say "foundation." I've never heard of that causing vibrations under load, but I guess if you had multiple bad ones it could happen. Sounds to me like the new drive shaft is out of balance. Did you have one made or is it an off the shelf piece?
my apologies. Yes. Bushings. But why would it start only when i changed the drive shaft?

i have it made. I couldn’t find the new one as i am in dubai and jeeps are not very popular here. How do you balance a driveshaft?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Rotating its mounting by 45 or 90degrees would change the balance slightly so to speak (the balance of the spin, not the physical balance).
I would try this route before looking for bearings etc. So mark how you have it in on one mounting hole, and then rotate it one or two holes over and bolt it up and see how it does.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Cheaper driveshafts aren't balanced well. You can take it to get balanced or you can try this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on this: The driveshaft (rod) was bent. Changed and it fixed the issue :) Thank you for your help guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts