Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a firefighter in Indiana and I bought an LED dash light for my commander. The light has a cigarette lighter plug with a switch to power it. I hate the cord being seen and would like to hardwire it to a switch I'm going to mount somewhere on the dash. How do I hardwire it to a switch? Do I just cut the cigarette plug off and run my wires? How do I know which wire from my light is positive and which is negative?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I would cut the plug between the light and it's switch and use extra wire to tap into the fuse box underneath the driver's side panel for a constant power source. Most of the time those LED lights are polarized so try to wire it first without a switch, one wire to ground the other to constant power (i.e. from the fuse box) and if it doesn't turn on then swap the wires. Once you know which one is the positive wire then put a small toggle switch on that wire and mount the switch where ever you'd like and you're done.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I pretty sure that the wire that goes to the center of the lighter is pos. the one that goes to the side is neg.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I pretty sure that the wire that goes to the center of the lighter is pos. the one that goes to the side is neg.
This is true.

I tend to not cut the plugs off my hardwired devices though and just go to radioshack or some online retailer and buy an add-on cigarette lighter plug and wire than in. This way if you want to replace the light bar with something else it's easier to do so in the future. The cigarette plugs are only about $10.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts