Jeep Commander Forum banner

Has anybody painted their roof white?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  fshnbob 
#1 ·
... similar to some of the FJ Cruisers? If so, was there a noticeable difference in interior temperatures?

Reactions: fshnbob
#2 ·
Where do you live? Studies have been done on this when I was a pup and yes it will decrease your interior temps, but with today,s AC I am not sure it is worth it. I live in FL and have only bought white or light gray vehicles in the last 20 years.

#3 ·
I live in FLA too. My Commander is silver and my 370z is white. LOL! So maybe a white roof won't make much of a difference in my case.

#4 ·
... similar to some of the FJ Cruisers? If so, was there a noticeable difference in interior temperatures?
Well I didn't do white.But I used silver. The next best thing. Only because I sprayed the bumpers and wheels to match. With dual A/C It didn't make a difference.Not even here in Texas.Where afternoon temps reach 7000 degrees.
But it's the only one like it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 10+ using speech to text

#5 ·
I like that. Nice job!!

#7 ·
Old thread but I have been thinking of doing this for some time, but by doing a white wrap to make the Commander look like it has a white removeable top. I would do the wrap down the pillars under the bottom of the windows. and in the rear under the window. I am planning on doing it and was searching the forum to see if anyone has done it before. I think it would help with the summer heat here (105F+) and look cool!

#8 ·
It would probably help with the temperature inside the vehicle, it's a well-documented fact, that the color white reflects the suns light & heat.

So, if that's your sole reason for doing it, it would probably be a worthwhile modification.

However, from an aesthetic point of view, I don't think it would be visually appealing, but that aspect of it, may not be very important to you.

Of course, that's just one man's opinion.

#10 ·
Been thinking more about doing the roof wrap to look like a removeable top and now thinking of doing it in Pewter to go along with the color of my wheels and that color should still be reflective enough to lower the interior temps. on summer days.

Reactions: Big Blue
#9 ·
When I purchased my Commander my first thought was I wanted to get rid of the monochrome look that can have the Commander mistaken for a Patriot or a Liberty. That is why mine is now two-toned and I have been contemplating how I could make my Commander look like it has a removeable top, giving it even more of an overlanding look, just a fun aesthetic change that would also help with the interior temperature when parked in the Summer on 105F+ days here in Northern California.

Reactions: Big Blue