Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been redying the XK for the install of the GetLost Rocker Guards and I have figured out that my factory Mopar door still plates are going to get into the way. I think they are put on with adhesive of some type but I am not sure. Has anyone installed them? I guess the best way to remove would be with some dental floss? How about reinstalling? Where can I get the adhesive tape that would be needed?

FYI they are the same as what is pictured here:
http://www.justforjeeps.com/doengu6.html

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
How are your door sill plates going to be in the way ? Pics ?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Just pull up on it. The sills come right out.

Did you take off your plastic rockercovers? there are rivets in each end and plastic squeeze tabs down the edges.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys I am talking about the stainless steel embossed "door scuff" plates not the plastic black stock rocker guards.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
cico, that is not the sill plate he is talking about. He is talking about the metal plates that say "Commander ". But I don't see how they could be in the way of the rocker guards.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
I don't think the sill guards will be in the way. But if they are I think you could pry that lip up enough for the rocker guard to slip underneath.

Pic of getlost4x4 rocker guard install:

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Here's mine...

The lower ones (Commander), are fitted with 3M tape and the blue illuminating Startech ones fit into the same push-in slots as the plastic OEM scuff plates

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
Here's mine...

The lower ones (Commander), are fitted with 3M tape and the blue illuminating Startech ones fit into the same push-in slots as the plastic OEM scuff plates
That's nice but I don't see how it answers password's question.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
That's nice but I don't see how it answers password's question.
Who said I was answering password's question....not me! :wiggle:

Just giving an example...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I don't think the sill guards will be in the way. But if they are I think you could pry that lip up enough for the rocker guard to slip underneath.

Pic of getlost4x4 rocker guard install:
I used the same picture above and used the square rubber grommet as my reference size and placement. It is really to close to call and I am just getting prepared to remove them just in case.

With this being said I assume it is held in place with industrial double stick tape. Does anyone know what tape I should use?

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
I don't think the sill plates will be in the way. Just wait till you get the rocker guards and see.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think the sill plates will be in the way. Just wait till you get the rocker guards and see.
I have them... I have taken the measurements and the best I can tell it that it will either be flush or overlap by 1/16-1/8'. I am painting them tonight.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK I removed the stock plastic rocker guards and "dry" fitted the Get Lost ones. Sure enough the door still plates are going to have to be removed. FYI dental floss did not work. The edges of the plates are fairly sharp and the floss snapped every time. Went out to Gander Mountain and got some 50# fishing line. Worked like a champ...

Now what kind of adhesive tape should I use to reinstall after the Get Lost rails one go in place?

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Use 3M double sided tape.
this . If you can't find it at the parts store, go to a auto body / paint supply store. There are different thickness rolls so take the piece with you so they can make sure you get what you need. You may ask for some primer that increases adhesion, and use an alcohol swab to clean with first. That area is usually pretty dirty or gets armour-all on it .That needs to be very clean.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
FYI here are some pics for reference.

Dry fit with the rock rails - so close

Another angle showing the 1/16" overlap

Removal with 50# fishing line

Pick to show how the adhesive tape was laid out

1 - 20 of 21 Posts