Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Commander after needing a 3rd row seat, but am finding the crawl to the back a bit much for the kids.

I am contemplating removing the 2nd row center seat so the layout is like captain's chairs. Has anyone done it? How hard was the process and how ugly is the floor underneath?

·
Administrator
15,246 Posts
I don't think anyone here has removed that seat. You do know that the 2nd row outboard seats fold and tumble for access to the 3rd row ?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
There are a lot of electronics under the 2nd row as well that would need to be protected if you did in fact remove that row.

Reactions: jeep5253

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think anyone here has removed that seat. You do know that the 2nd row outboard seats fold and tumble for access to the 3rd row ?
I'm aware of the fold and tumble. I have one in an infant seat, so that can't be moved and another in a booster. So if I want to tumble that seat, the booster needs to be moved every time. If I want him in the third row, he is not strong enough to tumble the seat himself. Hmmm..

I was not at all aware of the electronics under there. That certainly poses a problem too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was not at all aware of the electronics under there. That certainly poses a problem too.
From the link provided, notice the 2nd row photos taken on Posts #11 & 12. It shows before and after pic of underseat console being removed. That is where the electrical/module device(s) are located, hence the harness.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
The second row center seat can not be removed alone ! all second row seats are one single item. I have removed it once to put protecting plastic carpet under all seats. They had to move all three 2nd raw seats as once item. (same is mentioned in the service manual)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, its just going to be a big wirey mess in the end. There is always a mini van. J/K:)
Nice! The Commander was my response to those who said I needed a minivan. Boy did I show them :)

I was looking to just remove the center seat, but it looks like that might not be possible. I figured that sice the two ourside ones tumbled, the center would be mounted seperate. Maybe with a plasma cutter....

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
oldmacdonald did a thread where he removed his 2nd row seat to get a piece of ex-lax or chicklet he dropped....

that shows how he did it, i think......jeep5253 master searcher......can you find it?? ?OR maybe oldmac can chime in.....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nice! The Commander was my response to those who said I needed a minivan. Boy did I show them :)

I was looking to just remove the center seat, but it looks like that might not be possible. I figured that sice the two ourside ones tumbled, the center would be mounted seperate. Maybe with a plasma cutter....
Well Im glad you get a commander instead. Good luck with the removal of the seats aand be sure to take pictures

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oldmacdonald did a thread where he removed his 2nd row seat to get a piece of ex-lax or chicklet he dropped....

that shows how he did it, i think......jeep5253 master searcher......can you find it?? ?OR maybe oldmac can chime in.....
A link was posted to it above. No "how to", but its just bolts. Looks like that project had to do more with boredom than a need to remove a piece of gum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Help 2nd Row Commander Seat Removal

I ruined my 2nd row leather seats in 2007 Commander by putting tires on it. The seats now have tire tattoos all over them. Can not be cleaned.

I purchased three new seats to replace them. Is it complicated to remove and replace ? Should I go to dealer or autobody shop ? I have a body shop that works on new BMWs but not Jeeps.

They can do interiors in BMW's. Would they have trouble doing a Jeep ? Any ideas on who I should bring the project to ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was installing a 10" sub and amp in a commander for someone. She said she wanted the 2nd row middle seat removed and put the amp and sub there. I googled how to do this and after reading several post (including this one) i realized the question was never answered. Mostly people saying its all connected and cant be done without cutting it out. This is not the case. I just finished pulling her middle seat out and put her amp and sub there, and it wasnt hard at all. First, flip both door seats down and flip them forward. This will expose the back 4 bolts (3/4") holding the middle seat down. After removing these bolts, all that is holding it down is the front. To release the front shine a flash light under the front of the seat and u will see 2 10mm bolts. Remove these 2 bolts and your middle seat is free and can now be taken out!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was installing a 10" sub and amp in a commander for someone. She said she wanted the 2nd row middle seat removed and put the amp and sub there. I googled how to do this and after reading several post (including this one) i realized the question was never answered. Mostly people saying its all connected and cant be done without cutting it out. This is not the case. I just finished pulling her middle seat out and put her amp and sub there, and it wasnt hard at all. First, flip both door seats down and flip them forward. This will expose the back 4 bolts (3/4") holding the middle seat down. After removing these bolts, all that is holding it down is the front. To release the front shine a flash light under the front of the seat and u will see 2 10mm bolts. Remove these 2 bolts and your middle seat is free and can now be taken out!
Those four large bolts also hold down the lugs for the inside of the door seats. Hopefully you replaced these lugs and this bracket system, otherwise you have severely compromised her crash safety.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your explanation is better than the pdf download lol
I plan on removing due to completely deep cleaning the interior, so thanks for your info!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I removed all back seats for detailing purposes. Does anyone know of other seats that could bolt-on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have pictures of the removed middle seat in the second row?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts