Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Anyone using the LT Truck / SUV brake pad from Hawk?

Looking for more brake than the stock pads.

Thanks for any input.

OUT!

·
Registered
158 Posts
The PC, ceramic would be a better choice. I'm currenly running them on my fronts, with Napa Ultra Premium rotors. I've been pretty happy with this combo. My wife has a bad habit of warpping rotors, and she hasn't been able to warb these yet. The LT pads would be a good choice if you where towing a heavy load alot, but you would probably be un happy with them on your commander.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I read an article where they found that the biggest thing that warps rotors is standing on the pedal hard while the vehicle is stopped, after heating the rotors really hot.

Makes sense, warped rotors are really getting the rotors so hot that the metal softens a little and then the pressure of the caliper actually pinches the rotors thinner in some sections and you now have an uneven surface.

If you ride the brakes down a long decline, that will heat the rotors up big time, then at a stop with the rotors really hot, if you stand on the brakes really hard, instead of lightly with only enough force to keep the car from moving, that is a good way of pinching in the rotor and warping it.

Hawk has a good reputation for producing Performance First Brakes, I've used the EBC Greenstuff, a similiar kind of brake pad to their HPS pads. They definitely perform better, in stopping power than any other pad you can buy over the counter, but at the cost of a little more noise and dust than most good quality over the counter pads. Don't get the wrong impression, the noise we are talking about is the occassional squeak or moan when cold, etc, its NOT like these are really noisy pads.

BUT, if you're the kind of guy that is bothered by any brake noise, then like stated already, a good quality Ceramic Pad from one of the big companies is probably the way to go.

Hawk LT Truck/SUV pads might be different than their HPS, and if I had to guess, I'd be more confident in better stopping power from the Hawk than top of the line pads from the big companies like Raybestos and Bendix. BUT, if your priority is low noise and dust, still with good stopping power, I'd go with top of the line pads from Raybestos/Bendix, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts