Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the light truck / suv pads from HAWK.

Just a super brake pad compared to the factory originals.

Way more brake stopping power and smoother...

OUT!

·
Registered
696 Posts
x2 been using them for a couple thousands of miles

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is it normal for significant brake dust and squeaking with the stock pads? My friend told me his charger is the same way.

I am thinking about changing the pads just for this. I have 40000 miles on the Commander.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Most Semi Metallic pads usually produce a lot of dark brake dust. Some or better/worse than most, and there are exceptions that are low dust.

That is one of the selling points of Ceramic Pads, they make less dust then Semi-Metallic.

The OEM pads for the Commander, I "believe" are Ceramic, my Commander on the original OEM pads has NOT collected any brake dust on the wheels in the 15k miles we've driven it.

Keep in mind:

If you use some sort of silicone spray on the tires to keep them shiny and black, and get it on the wheels also, it can attract the brake dust and make it stick harder to the wheel/hubcap surface.

The wheel shape itself, the paint/coating on the wheel can make a difference in how much dust settles on it and collects.

The Dealer's sell aftermarket pads as a "Mopar" Line of pads and they are NOT actual OEM pads put on at the factory. If you're pads have been replaced, by the dealer, even if you asked for OEM pads, likely you got cheap aftermarket pads that make more dust.

If you changed pads, and didn't make sure you got ceramic pads, you could very likely have gotten semi-metallic, and that would make a noticeable difference in the amount of dust, in most cases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts