Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had the P0301 code now for 2 weeks - initially changed all plugs and swapped the coil pack but go the code again the next day...the issues i've had are:

- Starts "rough" but settles down within seconds
- noticed a coolant leak and reservoir was half empty

Sad part, my MPG jumped up to almost 14 - been use to low 13's since the lift and tire swap 9 years ago - and it idles like a champ at 6,000 RPMs almost immediately after the "shakes" stop which is seconds, not after getting "warm".

Finally took it in to get it tested and they want $3,800 to do the gasket head work; both sides, machining, pulleys, etc...160,000 miles and not excited about that bill, even half of that is painful.

Has anyone used products like Barr's Head Gasket Sealant with any luck? At this point I don't think I'm out anything since i won't spend that type of money on it - but thought I'd ask...I also need to replace the water pump which I can do easily and will if I decide to try something like Barr's.

·
Administrator
6,287 Posts
So I've had the P0301 code now for 2 weeks - initially changed all plugs and swapped the coil pack but go the code again the next day...the issues i've had are:

- Starts "rough" but settles down within seconds
- noticed a coolant leak and reservoir was half empty

Sad part, my MPG jumped up to almost 14 - been use to low 13's since the lift and tire swap 9 years ago - and it idles like a champ at 6,000 RPMs almost immediately after the "shakes" stop which is seconds, not after getting "warm".

Finally took it in to get it tested and they want $3,800 to do the gasket head work; both sides, machining, pulleys, etc...160,000 miles and not excited about that bill, even half of that is painful.

Has anyone used products like Barr's Head Gasket Sealant with any luck? At this point I don't think I'm out anything since i won't spend that type of money on it - but thought I'd ask...I also need to replace the water pump which I can do easily and will if I decide to try something like Barr's.
bjamrow, did you ever get this fixed?

If so, what route did you wind up going?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I would not try a head gasket sealant. That **** can gunk up everything. Yank the heads and replace it yourself. If the heads look flat not warped then no milling is necessary. If they do then a local shop can do it for pretty cheap. I'm getting ready to do this on my beater. Might have the head milled for a compression bump and a valve job for giggles.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Rings

Any time you do the head and add compression to an engine that is not totally rebuilt you run the risk of more compression than the old rings can handle, so be careful of the compression bump.

Swanny

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Any time you do the head and add compression to an engine that is not totally rebuilt you run the risk of more compression than the old rings can handle, so be careful of the compression bump.

Swanny
I appreciate the input! I wouldn't be making a huge difference on my vehicle. Its a honda so if it blows I'll just pick up another shortblock for cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts