Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate the headrest inclined position. No matter how high or low I make it, it is very unconfortable. I tried to yank it out... I wish there was a way to move it back instead so it is not leaned forward. I am surprised no one has complained on this forum about that before. Or am I missing something? I am 5'10", and would think the taller you are the more unconfortable it gets... any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dabitz said:
I hate the headrest inclined position. No matter how high or low I make it, it is very unconfortable. I tried to yank it out... I wish there was a way to move it back instead so it is not leaned forward. I am surprised no one has complained on this forum about that before. Or am I missing something? I am 5'10", and would think the taller you are the more unconfortable it gets... any words of wisdom?
I have no problems with the headrest. I am 6'1" and drove down to OK from WA and didn't even know the headrest was there.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I think most people don't actually rest their heads on the head rest. I only do it occasionally, but I don't find it particularly comfortable to drive that way on any vehicle.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have found them to be very comfortable and I am 6'3" so I am not sure how they fit others. I will tell you this head rests are designed to be more for safety function than comfort. The headrest plays a vital role in preventing head and neck injuries (whiplash) VS comfort in a traffic crash. That is why they should always be installed or kept in place and properly adjusted for each passenger.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can live with it, but sometimes I just want to recline my head back and that is when it is not too confortable. Maybe the size of my head got something to do with it. :D I do find it a bit weird that it is so inclined. But hey, any safety features are more than welcome.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't generally use the headrest, but I find it strange as well - with the fixed forward incline position, my head only hits the top edge (not very comfortable)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am not even 5 feet... so it is very uncomfortable for me. I dealt with it by putting the lumbar setting all the way forward and tilted the seat in the decline position to the point the headrest was not pushing the top of my head forward. Now its comfortable and my hair brushes against it.. but my head isn't banging against it anymore... Maybe that can help you as well. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dabitz, I think your reasoning is backwards. It seems that the shorter you are, the more uncomfortable the head rest is. I am 6'2" and don't have issue at all. My wife is 5'8" and finds it a bit uncomfortable. She uses the lumbar support similar to what BetteBoop does.

I will say that even though it may be uncomfortable for some, it's far better than the milk carton we had for a passenger seat in my uncle's CJ-5. Back then, passenger seat was an option (no joke).

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeap, I got it backwards, the shorter you are the less confortable. I will try adjusting the lumbar support as you guys suggested. It bothers me when I want to stretch my neck by moving my head back.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i'm 6' tall and i don't have any issues with the headrest, although looking at its positioning it does look uncomfortable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you know anyone that can sew... make a pillow... just about 6 inches wide and about 4 inches tall... have it with flaps (like a scarf) and velcro in the back of the headrest (pillow part in the front of course). This will just give enough support to the neck.. and won't be a safety hazard.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I am 5'7" and have no problems with the headrest. I find these seats much more comfortable than my 93 GC and I have been on long trips.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am 5'7" and have no problems with the headrest. I find these seats much more comfortable than my 93 GC and I have been on long trips.
I guess it's got to do with the size of my head then. :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
Dabitz said:
I can live with it, but sometimes I just want to recline my head back and that is when it is not too confortable. Maybe the size of my head got something to do with it. :D I do find it a bit weird that it is so inclined. But hey, any safety features are more than welcome.
Reclining the head while driving. Hope your eyes arn't taking a brek too:eek: :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm 6 foot tall, and my wife (5' 6") and I found the headrests very uncomfortable. I found one solution however. I took out the headrests from our old minivan and switched them with the Commander. The minivan headrests are a close match to the Commander's interior, you don't notice the difference unless you look really close. It makes the Commander seat much more comfortable when you are inclined.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree that the head rest isn't comfortable at all. I'm 6'5'' and it hits me right in the neck, so I can't get my back on the top of the seat. Can you remove the head rest completely? I don't understand the bend forward design of it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Honestly, I did not notice til I read this thread...... next time I drive it I am going to complain! Seriously, I enjoyed my Liberty's seats/headrests a little more. Overall adjustments in the Liberty seemed better too. The passenger seat adjusted the same as the drivers side. Something lacking in my XK! I admit I do use the lumbar so I can occasionally bend my neck back on trips.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The back of your head should rest against the part that sticks out. Nothing should be against your neck. If it is against your neck you need to raise the headrest. The "bend forward" design is to reduce whiplash in the event of an accident.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.