Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was thinking of trying to take the headlight assy apart from the front of the commander, then disassemble it and paint the inside of the headlights the body color of the commander. It now is kinda a crinkled silverish metalic color. What would be cool, is would now give the commander the appearance of having round headlights where the circles are for low beam and high beam.

If anyone has done this, or has knowledge, post a website etc.

I am excited to see what it would look like so I can get started myself!

·
2,248 Posts
You would probably reduce the output of the light. The reflective inside is there to help focus and enhance the light.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I tend to agree with Huey to a point.

But if you want to do this look up how to do demon eyes or Halos. It requires you baking the headlight assembly for a specific amount of time at like 250F to loosen the glue that keeps the housing together.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you are just painting the inside of the headlights and not the reflectors, I don't see how it would affect the output.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I think I understand the look you are going for and I don't think it will take away from the lighting capability. I also don't think it is going to be that drastic of a change in the appearance of the light. If I understand it correctly the look you want is for the lights to be isolated and for that you would need to paint the lens itself. Similar to the look of the older style liberty? see the circled area of the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
What I was thinking of doing is heating up and taking apart the headlight. The reflectors are a separate piece from the assembly so take them out and paint the inside of the headlight body. Here is a pic I was playing with on photoshop
retouch.JPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KitKat, you are spot on. I have a black commander and was thinking about painting the inside of the headlight assy the same as the body color, just like your photoshop, only the chrome rectangle you left on the surround, would be the body color too... i guess it would almost look similar to the latest body style corvette headlight assy. Big clear lense over body colored plastic, with just the round headlights/highbeams left. And no to everyone else, I did not mean pain the enitre headlight assy, as the reflector surface is what projects the beam in a distinct patter, besides, i'm sure johnny-law would be all over me for painting the whole headlight assy! KitKat, see if you could finish the photoshop you did, do the rectangle chrome surround the body color also, and change your already painted in stuff the body color of your jeep, I am thinking this would look awesome on dark colored commanders, kinda like the jeep liberty pic showed.

If anyone has attempted to do this, let us know the steps you took to make it successful, and what to avoid.

thanks, oklajeep

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
man if I had spare headlights and the $ I would give this a shot looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I actually did a fair bit of research to see about doing projection HID's in the Commander. By the time you buy another set of lights, the Hella projectors and the light / module, it will run between $800 - $1000. I wimped out and bought an HID kit that works great. I was driving my wifes car with her behind me in the Commander at night and the lights really were much worse than any other headlights. I still want to buy another set of lights and paint them inside. I will go with a duller, darker grey / metallic rather than body colour. I will keep the reflectors stock (of course) and the outer lip of the lights so they mesh with the chrome grille.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Its the tinkering that I like. :D

At the very least I would paint the dull silver now that I understand what look he was going for except it would look odd on my xk lol

·
Registered
266 Posts
"Commander at night and the lights really were much worse than any other headlights."

I just read this. What I meant to say is that they were NOT much worse than any other lights.

I am actually going to but a yellow (3000k) HID kit for my fogs, since they are actually fogs and I want them better for poor weather.
I still want to paint the inside of the lights but it is down on my list..I was thinking a metallic charcoal, something with a bit of life

·
Registered
266 Posts
No flicker at all. Got the relay with it and no problems...well major ones anyway. As I stated somewhere on the forum, once my HID's turn on, they do not turn off until there is no power going to the vehicle at all. If I turn them on during a drive and then shut them off, they stay on until I oark and shut off the engine. Not sure why but other than that minor inconvenience, they work great.
Brand is velocitygetter.com, found on Ebay.ca and turns out to be a local Canadian distributor. There seems to be great kits and the one I was really looking at is the Woodview one, we can still enter the coupon code and get the kit for $30 less than the retail price...search the threads for woodview and you will find the coupon code.

·
Registered
707 Posts
About the projectors, can't you just aim the headlights towards the ground so that the HIDs will not blind anyone? I can't see spending 600 or 800 for projector headlights.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts