Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights have a minor case of the scratchy/foggy outer covering. Not bad, but starting.
I have never had headlights professionally repaired, but what is the way to go? I have heard the replacement has numerous cool options, but is a major PITA, Not sure if a restore will hold up??
Thoughts? The restore would be $75, and i dont really want to DIY.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I would go with a restore for the money unless you are jonesing for a headlight upgrade. I just wax several of my trailer lights that fade in the sun periodically. That seems to work well. I like Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer for this as it leave behind a polymer film which protects the substrate. Tech Wax 2.0 also works well.

Your Sergio quote is interesting and was made before the Italians fully understood Jeep. They are still planning for a 3rd row Jeep.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I tried a few different restore products but mine are beyond repair.
Id say just buy new ones, black background looks way better than stock anyway.

If all goes well, 2022 Grand Wagoneer should be the next 3row Jeep. But you didnt hear that from me...

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
No secret with the 3rd row Jeep plans. Investment is already committed by FCA. Worst kept secret here in Michigan kind of like the Gladiator.

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
No secret with the 3rd row Jeep plans. Investment is already committed by FCA. Worst kept secret here in Michigan kind of like the Gladiator.
Since you brought it up, from outside appearances, I'm not a fan of the Gladiator at all. It's quite plain looking. Maybe a lifted, beefed up version of it would look more proper.

And to the O.P. - the smart play would be getting new headlight assemblies.

·
Registered
141 Posts
How about just going to a body shop, and have them sanded down and re-cleared?
You don't have to take them out of the car. But it does a better job.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text

·
Registered
480 Posts
How about just going to a body shop, and have them sanded down and re-cleared?
You don't have to take them out of the car. But it does a better job.
This is probably the best bet for longevity as far as restoration goes. I took them off, sanded them down and spray painted some clear from a hardware store on and 4 years later they still look perfect. Other times I've used headlight restoration kits on headlights they end up hazing over again after a year or two.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The passenger side on mine is cracked and has water inside it. I have also noticed small cracks all over both of them. So I'm thinking of just getting a new set and installing them. I'll go with the silver/chrome look as that is the main colors on my XK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts