Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done one? I searched but didn't see anything come up.

I want some extra light output that looks very OEM. I don't want to spend $500~ for each OE Jeep housing + bulbs when I'm doubting the projector is that great to begin with.

Im thinking about trying the retro on some eBay housings that can be had for less than $100 and seeing what I can come up with. My plan is to use the Morimoto Mini Stage III kit that basically threads through the original hole that the stock headlight uses.

Baking the light is apparently the hardest part, which if you've done it once....you've done it 1000 times. It really isn't that bad.

If this works, you could have amazing, stock looking HID light for around $250-$400 depending on where you get your parts from...or less than half of the price of one OEM 09-10 HID housing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ill be paying close attention to this if you move forward with it..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not a matter of if, just when. The Commander housing is so large that I the only issue I foresee is sealing the back up. Im a little leery of the eBay housings that are sub-$100. I haven't seen them/held them yet, but I after doing some quick research they look like they will be ok.

The Morimoto Mini is reversible, so if everything went wrong with the housing, I could just put them on the OE housings that are on the Jeep.

I've found the projector guts on eBay for around $100 and you can source a decent HID kit for around $75, so realistically you could do this for under $200 using your headlights that are already on the Jeep.

Here are some samples of the light output we could expect. Crisp, clear and most importantly, not blinding on coming traffic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you guys really want the HID projector custom made and done correctly. Check out this guy:
http://shop.retroshop.us/default.asp
I asked him for a quote and to have the Morimoto's installed with the correct harness and 35w HID, youre looking around $650+.
When I owned my 2011 Ram, he was the go-to guy for the 4th generation. Check out some of his custom work. Its WICKED to say the least. I were into modding my Jeep, this would be my first upgrade.

·
Registered
14 Posts
oh, forgot to mention that is including another set of headlights so you don't have to send yours in to get modded. by far, this is the best plug and play option EVA. The parts alone pretty much cost 400+ to build to include harness, projector/ballast, and 35w 5000k HID, etc. There are additional features one should also look into once considering this, like the elimination of low-beam once you turn on your high beams - theres a extra relatively cheap harness to prevent that from happening too. I just wish someone produced a clean projector style headlight without doing all of the custom work. Oh benefits of owning a less popular model jeep!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a low cost for someone else doing the retro, but using the same parts you can do it yourself for a quarter of the cost using the Morimoto projector mentioned above. The projector mounts by the existing hole used for your headlight bulb. If anything it should work better than a retro having to cut the housing to bits and fabbing some sort of seal it back up.

The Morimoto Mini is a no brainer unless you want something totally custom. It should also be noted that the mini is a bixenon projector.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anybody completed the mod with the Morimoto projectors yet? Pictures?

I'm eager to see if this is finally "The Answer" to the Jeep Commander HID/Projector Retrofit woes...
Im going to do it, just have other things I want to do first. Give me a month or so.:icon_cheers:

·
Registered
88 Posts
MarbleGT thanks for the info, I emailed retrofit source for their recommendations for shrouds etc.. Ill post it up, Im moving forward with this soon as well, seems easy once you get the lense off....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
^^ It seems VERY easy. The hardest part should literally be to take the bumper off. I may begin at the end of this month, I really am aiming to get a lift and new tires first...I'd like a little more go before any show.

Let me know if you need any tips or a second brain for anything.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I suggest getting lift and tires first, I just bought new rear shocks today, Fox Emulsion 4" rear shocks, this will get done as soon as I hear from retrofit source on their recommendations.. If Im going to do it, Im doing it right

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an old thread, I have done many of my own retrifits on my vehicles and others (commander to come), and its not as simple as just finding a cheap retrofit kit. Light output is not truly visible by camera. The pics are going to be taken at a higher ISO to compensate for low light which gives the illusion of amazing light output. Those cheap projectors he uses on bottom end lights do not have very good light output. the very best light output is by stanley in my opinion. Acura TL, TSX and RL projectors have amazing light output with philips d2s bulbs. The very best to date is/will always be Lexus ls430 and honda s2000 projectors. Super wide and bright beam. Im sure this guy could work with you on using your own projectors, good ones are TSX, TL, RL, S2000, REAL BMW M3 E46 projectors with ZKW lenses, LS430, FX35/45/50, Lexus GS. THose have been my favorites and easiest to work with Minus LS430 because the massive size of projector and the acura TL projector because its a larger Bi-xenon projector-solenoid sticks out. Just keep in mind that if youre doing it for looks, go with cheap, if youre doing it for better output-then make sure you do your due-diligence and research. I will be using a TL or S2000 on my XK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey this thread caught my eye. I am going to be starting the process of retrofitting my headlights. I was thinking the morimoto mini h1 with a gatling shroud and halos, and beneath i was going to see if i could fit a cree led cube in there. Also am going to be painting the interior of the assembly a matte black. But i do have two questions. 1. How do i get rid of the notorious HID flicker/ not being able to turn them on. And 2- am i going to have to cut the actual headlight to make the projector fit?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hey this thread caught my eye. I am going to be starting the process of retrofitting my headlights. I was thinking the morimoto mini h1 with a gatling shroud and halos, and beneath i was going to see if i could fit a cree led cube in there. Also am going to be painting the interior of the assembly a matte black. But i do have two questions. 1. How do i get rid of the notorious HID flicker/ not being able to turn them on. And 2- am i going to have to cut the actual headlight to make the projector fit?
I've seen it done! Looks nice.

He was going for an iron man theme IIRC.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/what-did-you-do-your-wk-xk-today-1167146/index866.html#post26254106

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah so does anyone know how to get an HID to work properly on these commanders? I've tried HID's before but i got a bunch of flicker, and they wouldn't stay on. I tried a relay but the relay literally melted when i plugged it all up, and yes it was installed correctly. any suggestions?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah so does anyone know how to get an HID to work properly on these commanders? I've tried HID's before but i got a bunch of flicker, and they wouldn't stay on. I tried a relay but the relay literally melted when i plugged it all up, and yes it was installed correctly. any suggestions?
There's nothing magical about the commanders; either your relay was sized improperly, or wired improperly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts