Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on installing my DVD player and need to remove the headliner to install the bracket and run the wires, Has anyone removed thiers who can give me some pointers?

I have removered the post covers, the two pegs in the middle of the roof and do not know if there are more clips of if I just use force and pull it down. Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am working on installing my DVD player and need to remove the headliner to install the bracket and run the wires, Has anyone removed thiers who can give me some pointers?

I have removered the post covers, the two pegs in the middle of the roof and do not know if there are more clips of if I just use force and pull it down. Thanks!
49'er, I'm just about to start this process! May I ask how this worked out for you? Problems, issues, etc.? Are there steps you would recommend, or pitfalls avoid? I'm about to replace a sunroof motor, so any help is appreciated. Cheers!

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
49'er, I'm just about to start this process! May I ask how this worked out for you? Problems, issues, etc.? Are there steps you would recommend, or pitfalls avoid? I'm about to replace a sunroof motor, so any help is appreciated. Cheers!
@CANYONERO, a49erFan has not been on the forum since Jan. 2017, so in all probability you won't get a reply. And this thread has not been active since May 2007 (13 years!). Please check a member's active status before commenting on a decades old thread. It's easy to do, just put your cursor on their user name and a window will pop up. Thanks.

Reactions: CANYONERO

·
Administrator
7,671 Posts
@CANYONERO, a49erFan has not been on the forum since Jan. 2017, so in all probability you won't get a reply. And this thread has not been active since May 2007 (13 years!). Please check a member's active status before commenting on a decades old thread. It's easy to do, just put your cursor on their user name and a window will pop up. Thanks.
I totally agree & support @jeep5253 on this;

Newer members, please take the time to do this. It's as simple as a move of the mouse.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is more for CANYONERO than for a49erfan, here are some docs I came across to remove the headliner, or at least to pull it apart enough to do your work. I'm preparing to replace the factory original VES monitor in my Commander so I've been poring over this stuff. All of this is likely more than you actually need to do if all you are seeking is to install a monitor, or to replace one like myself, but there should be enough here for you to at least get it lowered so you can

1. Remove the A-pillar trim panels, (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/A-PILLAR TRIM - REMOVAL).
2. Disconnect the headliner wire harness connector at the right A-pillar and washer hose located at the left A-pillar.
3. Remove the sun visor supports, (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/SUN VISOR SUPPORT - REMOVAL)
4. Remove the sun visors, (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/SUN VISOR - REMOVAL).
5. Remove the overhead console, (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/OVERHEAD CONSOLE - REMOVAL).
6. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, separate the visor storage bin (3) from the headliner.
7. Disconnect the electrical connectors (1 and 2).
8. Remove the overhead video monitor. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/AUDIO/MONITOR-MEDIA SYSTEM - REMOVAL)
9. Remove the left upper b-pillar trim panels (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/B-PILLAR UPPER TRIM - REMOVAL).
10. Separate the C-pillar trim and position aside, (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/PANEL-C-PILLAR TRIM - REMOVAL).
11. Position the front seats fully forward and fully reclined.
12. Fold the rear passenger seats down.
13. Remove the rear upper header trim panel (2), (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/MOLDING-REAR HEADER - REMOVAL)
14. Remove the rear push pins (3).
15. Separate the D-pillar trim panels and position aside, (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/PANEL-D-PILLAR TRIM - REMOVAL).
16. Lower the rear of the headliner downward from the roof panel and disconnect the rear washer hose.
17. Disconnect the headliner wire harness connector located at the left D-pillar.
18. Remove the sunroof trim ring, (Refer to 23 - BODY/SUNROOF/TRIM RING - REMOVAL)
19. Remove the screws and remove the grab handles (3). 20. Partially separate the door seals from the door opening.
21. Separate the fasteners (1) (hook and loop fasteners or clips) and lower the headliner. CAUTION: Be careful not to crease the headliner.
22. Lower the front of the headliner downward and remove the headliner through the liftgate door opening.

Line art Drawing Diagram Sketch Art
Line Line art Diagram Auto part Drawing
Auto part Line art Diagram Automotive window part
Line art Drawing Auto part Coloring book Automotive exterior
Line art Technical drawing Diagram Parallel Machine tool

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is INCREDIBLY helpful, as I couldn't find this info anywhere. Thank you!! (And perfect timing, as my sunroof motor just arrived in the mail today!)

Where did you find these instructions and diagrams, if I may ask?

·
Registered
124 Posts
They were buried in a thread right here on jeepcommander.com somewhere, I had made PDFs of several helpful things that I knew I would need when I started rehabilitating my XK. A lot of them were from here, some from other online sources. It looks like the images were lifted from a takeapart manual or some other manufacturer instruction set, but they were just pasted into the posting along with the instructions here. Just from my fiddling with things, it looks like A LOT of stuff with the XK is removable, or at least you get started removing it, simply with a plastic upholstery/trim removal tool. Just pry stuff apart carefully and you usually find a bolt or three underneath some plastic trim. If you completely remove the headliner absolutely take care, if it bends, creases or cracks, breaks in any way, a new headliner will cost you a lot or be a real crapshoot to find used.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up! I'm going to try accessing the sunroof switch, but I'm already finding that it's certainly not as easy as some of the Youtube videos for Plymouths and Chryslers claim... Still, nice to know it's possible and doable if one takes their time.

Did you find that any of the bezel clips broke in the process? I'm searching for them online and on eBay, but I'm finding nothing. (There's a heatwave here, so it seems that anyone that ever thought of doing any roof/dash repairs, has chosen this time to do it!)

·
Administrator
7,671 Posts
They were buried in a thread right here on jeepcommander.com somewhere, I had made PDFs of several helpful things that I knew I would need when I started rehabilitating my XK. A lot of them were from here, some from other online sources. It looks like the images were lifted from a takeapart manual or some other manufacturer instruction set, but they were just pasted into the posting along with the instructions here. Just from my fiddling with things, it looks like A LOT of stuff with the XK is removable, or at least you get started removing it, simply with a plastic upholstery/trim removal tool. Just pry stuff apart carefully and you usually find a bolt or three underneath some plastic trim. If you completely remove the headliner absolutely take care, if it bends, creases or cracks, breaks in any way, a new headliner will cost you a lot or be a real crapshoot to find used.
@HyperionAlpha; Thanks for this useful information.

Your contribution is now a Sticky thread in the Interior Appearance Modifications sub-forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I removed my headlining in a fit of rage and frustration when I used the rear screen washer and got soaked by a mouse chewed pipe in the headlining leaking all over the place. It's easy with two, tricky with one, just take your time. Taking the rear five seats out help, but only if you're lardy and inflexible. (we took the out and bugger they're heavy!!
Take your time and have your space warmed for a day before you start, (a hot air gun is worth it's weight in gold)

·
Administrator
7,671 Posts
I removed my headlining in a fit of rage and frustration when I used the rear screen washer and got soaked by a mouse chewed pipe in the headlining leaking all over the place. It's easy with two, tricky with one, just take your time. Taking the rear five seats out help, but only if you're lardy and inflexible. (we took the out and bugger they're heavy!!
Take your time and have your space warmed for a day before you start, (a hot air gun is worth it's weight in gold) View attachment 41786
I think that's the first time I've seen a pic of the headliner totally removed.

Thanks for sharing.

Also @r0bertwebb please take the time to complete your user profile as explained in the post below;

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
Dallas TX
109 Posts
@HyperionAlpha
Can the headliner be pulled down in the back a little bit for access above? Would like to put some sound deadener up there if possible without tearing things up or removing the entire liner

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you want to run wiring through the top or work with replacing the drain tubes like I did, just a pair of skinny hands is all you need to get the job done.

If you are going to install a sound deadening insulator in the roof then you are going to need to get to be best friends with r0bertwebb because there is just no way you are going to do it without removing the entire head liner. That's a damn good bit of work he did with the head liner, if you try to install your deadener with it in place you will crease it at best, making your car interior look ghetto and ugly, or you will destroy it, tearing it where you'll be folding it as you try to reach without removing it. Which will look even worse. Don't even try, set aside a weekend and an empty garage, call a friend and buy the beer.

·
Administrator
7,671 Posts
If you want to run wiring through the top or work with replacing the drain tubes like I did, just a pair of skinny hands is all you need to get the job done.

If you are going to install a sound deadening insulator in the roof then you are going to need to get to be best friends with r0bertwebb because there is just no way you are going to do it without removing the entire head liner. That's a damn good bit of work he did with the head liner, if you try to install your deadener with it in place you will crease it at best, making your car interior look ghetto and ugly, or you will destroy it, tearing it where you'll be folding it as you try to reach without removing it. Which will look even worse. Don't even try, set aside a weekend and an empty garage, call a friend and buy the beer.
When I first bought my XK, I couldn't activate the Sirius XM radio;

Long story short, the Sirius XM antenna cable, which is routed between the roof & the headliner, was broken not too far from the antenna.

The mechanic was miffed about how it could have happened, as he said there was no evidence that the headliner had ever been removed before.

But, he had to drop the entire headliner and trace the Sirius XM antenna cable to find where it was broken & hence, the problem.

·
Registered
Dallas TX
109 Posts
Thank you! just what i needed to know

·
Registered
124 Posts
When I first bought my XK, I couldn't activate the Sirius XM radio;

Long story short, the Sirius XM antenna cable, which is routed between the roof & the headliner, was broken not too far from the antenna.

The mechanic was miffed about how it could have happened, as he said there was no evidence that the headliner had ever been removed before.

But, he had to drop the entire headliner and trace the Sirius XM antenna cable to find where it was broken & hence, the problem.
Obviously, someone tried to install sound deadening insulation without removing the head liner.

·
Administrator
7,671 Posts
Obviously, someone tried to install sound deadening insulation without removing the head liner.
I bought my XK from a 70 year old woman who was the original owner & it was completely stock when I bought it in 2014, with no modifications at all.

That, coupled with the fact that there wasn't any sound deadening insulation present, I'd say your conclusion is a swing & a miss.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts