Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 Commander 65th Anniversary edition. A guy at circuit city said i cant install an overhead monitor because of the sun roofs. I want to install headrest monitor. Has anyone installed them in their commander? Post pics. Thanks.

·
Registered
717 Posts
flashover95 said:
I have an 06 Commander 65th Anniversary edition. A guy at circuit city said i cant install an overhead monitor because of the sun roofs. I want to install headrest monitor. Has anyone installed them in their commander? Post pics. Thanks.
The guy at Circuit City is wrong.....First of all...the monitor from the factory is mounted overhead...I've also seen in other threads on this forum where aftermarket monitors have been mounted overhead on Commanders with skyview

As a matter of fact here is one that was done rather economically

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2238&highlight=Overhead+monitor

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I installed mine and the brackets for the factory unit are not expensive at all, but having gone that way I can agree that any unit can be mounted up there with or without the special brackets.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with Red and Jeeper64, the headrest monitors are a lot cleaner look. Plus, I have been shopping for some. I have found some that are already installed in the headrest already. You just have to simply exchange the OEM one. I will be doing this mod soon. Once I have enough money for the PS3 and DVD player that I wanna get. I have enough for the monitors but I might as well get everything all at once. =)

·
Registered
526 Posts
I reccomend checking with Myron Davis. They make multiple different factory matching headrest and make a great monitor. The cool thing is, if you ever sell your vehicle they will give you a new headrest for the new vehicle! (Example, have them in your Commander, you buy a Rubicon, they will give you the new headrest for it to fit in your Rubicon for free).

There are CHEAP companies out there that make this headrest replacement (jensen etc) yet if you are going to do that you might as well buy some eclipse monitors and take it to a local shop for install.

As for the overhead, cutting and drilling in the headliner is a lot more expensive to replace (if you ever want to remove the screen) than 2 headrest. there is the risk of "sagging" as well.

I work at Circuit City as in installer, and we HAVE installed overheads before in a Commander, yet I have never done one with the front sunroof. I would be ineterested to see clearance of the monitor. We would never do an install like the one linked, it is pretty tacky with the power cable and RCAS visible and ran through the sunroof like that. Everything is possible though, it just depends on the skill of the installer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
headrest monitor

hay flashover95, headrest mounting is the way to go, the perfect monitor for your head rest is the alpine m780, i did it on mine and it is perfect

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Some stores won't mount overhead monitors if you have a sunroof. I ran into that problem when I had my Tahoe. BestBuy would not install with sunroof, but CircuitCity would. I guess it all depends where you are at.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Personally, I have my aftermarket player mounted between the rear skylights, but I like the headrest look better. Much cleaner and factory looking.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
That really looks impressive.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
How do you hide the wired coming out of the headrest? Are they exposed or can you run them own the inside of the 2 deals that that headrest slides up and down on? I mounted mine in the front visors, was able to hide the wire inside the part the mirror hangs and pivots on. Of course I put mine up front becasue I couldnt see the ones in the back.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts