Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seen various posts on repairing the lights, but no photos on how to actually get to it. With some trial and error, here's my story.

Having just bought my XK 07 (rhd), I noticed that the heater controls were not visible at night. Time to repair.

Remove the 16 Allen screws
Then gently pull the dash, might need a little bit of persuasion.

Then gently prize away the gearstick surround.

You can now pull the centre console away

I found it useful to use a screwdriver to release it near the bottom.

Now put the car into Drive to make access easier and remove plugs.

Time to take the centre console inside

Undo the 6 tiny bolts at the rear in order to remove the heater control unit.

Turn all knobs all the way to the left in order to pull them off.

Then release 8 tabs around the unit to open it up.

You can now access the lights.
They simply prize off.

You can now take the old bulb out of the holder, take the blue cap off and install the new light. Don't forget to replace the blue cap.

I purchased the bulbs from Maplin in the UK. [Wire bulb 12V, code WQ13]
I actually ended up replacing 4 out of 5 bulbs.

Solder back in place.

Put everything back together and refit into your car.

Job's a goodun

·
Registered
176 Posts
Excellent write-up!

You've given me a good roadmap in case I have to do the same project. Cheers!

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you for a very good write-up, first thing for me to take a look at as soon as my Jeep is comming back home from anti-rust treatment.

·
Registered
218 Posts
On my U.S. 2006, the bulbs are soldered in place. I replaced them, and within a few months, the panel failed, and would do nothing but run on high heat. Perchance the assembly was damaged from heat soaking when soldering.
I notice your panel is different from mine, the function of the outboard knobs is reversed.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not worth it in my opinion. The aftermarket bulbs are slighly dimmer than factory and I like things bright. I bought the bulbs for $20 and then found a mint assembly for $45.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome with the visual aids

I also cant see all of the positions on the panel. Being that this Jeep is new to me, and its now dark in the morning, that has become important.
So I will also be doing mine at some point in the very near future.
Thanks for this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My lights went out last week, ordered some bulbs off of Amazon. They are the same ones in a video 2162 bulbs 10 were just $11? The bulbs arrived yesterday so will try and fix tis weekend. By the way great pictures, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,769 Posts
My lights went out last week, ordered some bulbs off of Amazon. They are the same ones in a video 2162 bulbs 10 were just $11? The bulbs arrived yesterday so will try and fix tis weekend. By the way great pictures, thank you.
One of my interior/dash bulbs that illuminates the temperature control knob settings burned out too....I have 3 of these bulbs at home already, that I ordered from Radio shack back in December; I'm probably going to replace all the bulbs when I get back toward the end of May and get the dash taken apart;

https://www.radioshack.com/search?q=12V%2F50mA+Incandescent+Bulb

I got the info for these bulbs off of another thread, they are supposed to be the correct replacement bulbs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts