Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day as I was coming off the beach in my 06 Commander 3.7L there was a discharge of coolant that came out of the defrosters and fogged the windshield. I was going up about a 25 degree incline when it happened. It only happened once - I even tried to duplicate it by taking the same route later. I thought this was a closed system and the only way it would leak is if there was a bad hose or hole in the heater core. Is there some sort of pressure relief valve that may have opened? The temp gauge was a little hot but it was nowhere near red. It also has the factory rear heat/ac. Any ideas???
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Are you sure it was coolant and not some other liquid? If it was coolant did you check for a drain hose that should come out of the firewall to drain condensation from the heat/ac box in the dash. I know there has to be one just not sure of the location so someone will have to help me there. Look for a small hose through the firewall most likely on the passenger side if it is clogged it could cause condensation to build up in the system. See if there is fluid leaking from there. If the heater core was leaking you would notice the fluid leaking constantly from the heater in the vehicle. The only pressure release I am aware of is in the radiator cap.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
The other day as I was coming off the beach in my 06 Commander 3.7L there was a discharge of coolant that came out of the defrosters and fogged the windshield. I was going up about a 25 degree incline when it happened. It only happened once - I even tried to duplicate it by taking the same route later. I thought this was a closed system and the only way it would leak is if there was a bad hose or hole in the heater core. Is there some sort of pressure relief valve that may have opened? The temp gauge was a little hot but it was nowhere near red. It also has the factory rear heat/ac. Any ideas???
Thanks
Warranty? Did you see anything or did it just fog?

·
Registered
862 Posts
It’s funny this thread came up. Yesterday, I stopped at a parts house to get oil and a filter for my first oil change. I know the owner, and we BS’ed for about 45 minutes. When I went back outside, the windshield was steamed up. When I started the Jeep, I got a brief whiff of coolant, then it went away, and at the same time the windshield cleared. It hasn’t happened again despite a couple of other stops as well as going to work today.

Now, how is that possible?!? A self sealing heater core?!? I’ve been a motorhead long enough to know the smell of coolant when it hits my nostrils, so it definitely was that. I’m watching it like a hawk now, especially when I still have a couple thousand miles of factory warranty left. If it’s going to fail, it needs to fail NOW.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
You could take it in for the coolant issue and they wouldn't find anything. Then, later on, when it really fails badly, it should still be covered because you brought it in before... maybe?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
This is quite interesting as I haven't had this issue on either of the XKs I have owned. Please keep us posted if you are able to nail this one down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts