Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess its inevitable, on a 2006 Commander w/ 3.7L V6, for hoses to start going. I've seen a previous posting about changing the hose, but how do you tell which hose it is, since the two hoses look identical. I found hoses at AutoZone, Continental brand, but they list two hoses.... one is 29.99 and the other is 75.99.

going by .what I can see, I think I need the 29.99 one since the old one has the metal heat shield on it. I guess the best way I can describe, I need to fix the "driver" side one, not the "passenger" side one.

are there differences in diameter?? they look the same in the car

thanks for any info

on a side not while I was looking around in the engine compartment, I found what was left of a flat braided copper ground wire that wasn't connected anymore to the firewall right above where the hoses in question are. I didn't see anything in the book on a firewall ground

·
Administrator
7,301 Posts
I guess its inevitable, on a 2006 Commander w/ 3.7L V6, for hoses to start going. I've seen a previous posting about changing the hose, but how do you tell which hose it is, since the two hoses look identical. I found hoses at AutoZone, Continental brand, but they list two hoses.... one is 29.99 and the other is 75.99.

going by .what I can see, I think I need the 29.99 one since the old one has the metal heat shield on it. I guess the best way I can describe, I need to fix the "driver" side one, not the "passenger" side one.

thanks for any info

on a side not while I was looking around in the engine compartment, I found what was left of a flat braided copper ground wire that wasn't connected anymore to the firewall right above where the hoses in question are. I didn't see anything in the book on a firewall ground
@Tmarkreis ;

With tax, it's only about $110.00.

You're talking about an SUV that's almost 16 yrs old; Replace both hoses and be done with it.

Then you don't have to worry about whether you replaced the right one or not.

·
Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 142k miles
171 Posts

thanks for any info

Are you sure it's a hose, or is it the dreaded plastic t-fitting? If it's a cracked t-fitting, the hoses can be (re)used.

My driver side t-fitting is cracked and spilling a bit of fluid. I bought the fix... just waiting for the weather here in FLA to chill a bit before I tackle that project.

Vehicle Aircraft Font Auto part Aviation

Reactions: Big Blue

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pretty sure its the T connector that's leaking.... is this a better easier fix?? that's a 3/4" connector, correct?? I'm working on the V6, I've read the V8 is a lot worse to work on.

Are there any tips or tricks for getting all the air out of the lines when I'm done??? I'm assuming the overflow tank takes care of that, from what I've read. just wondering if there was anything else I needed to do.

·
Administrator
7,301 Posts
pretty sure its the T connector that's leaking.... is this a better easier fix?? that's a 3/4" connector, correct?? I'm working on the V6, I've read the V8 is a lot worse to work on.

Are there any tips or tricks for getting all the air out of the lines when I'm done??? I'm assuming the overflow tank takes care of that, from what I've read. just wondering if there was anything else I needed to do.
You should have a lot more room to work with the 3.7L V-6.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so I finally got the heater hose replaced....
Now, is there a trick to getting the air out of the line or is it something that just takes time?? I've run it twice for 15-20 min, enough for the engine to heat up and I'm still getting cool air in the front and the back. The supply line, which is the one I replaced, is hot but the return line isn't. I'm assuming air in the line. I am getting air bubbles in the expansion tank, so I figure it is doing its thing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you sure it's a hose, or is it the dreaded plastic t-fitting? If it's a cracked t-fitting, the hoses can be (re)used.

My driver side t-fitting is cracked and spilling a bit of fluid. I bought the fix... just waiting for the weather here in FLA to chill a bit before I tackle that project.
Where did you score those T-Fittings? I need some for mine… think they might be cracked… it’s bleeding from the T.. hoses might be reusable. Any idea if they sell colored hoses?

Lol is that just a T fittings from like Home Depot?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Where did you score those T-Fittings? I need some for mine… think they might be cracked… it’s bleeding from the T.. hoses might be reusable. Any idea if they sell colored hoses?

Lol is that just a T fittings from like Home Depot?

I found the t-fitting on Amazon for 8$ I think. Not sure about the hoses, but you could probably find them on Amazon/Ebay also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found the t-fitting on Amazon for 8$ I think. Not sure about the hoses, but you could probably find them on Amazon/Ebay also.
Would you happen to know IF the sizes are the same in the 5.7l hemi? I would imagine that the ac components would be the same in all models of the commander but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Would you happen to know IF the sizes are the same in the 5.7l hemi? I would imagine that the ac components would be the same in all models of the commander but I could be wrong.
For my 06 hemi, the size is 3/4".

·
Registered
17 Posts
For my 06 hemi, the size is 3/4".
3/4” in all three sides? I thought middle piece was smaller? So crimp all three hoses with at the point the original plastic T starts and cut there. Then fit the hoses over new T and tighten with screw clamps? I just had a new radiator installed and flush the system n filled with new coolant and then this happened. Lol
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior

·
Registered
171 Posts
Take a look as this:

This is the thread that helped me.

·
Registered
226 Posts
so I finally got the heater hose replaced....
Now, is there a trick to getting the air out of the line or is it something that just takes time?? I've run it twice for 15-20 min, enough for the engine to heat up and I'm still getting cool air in the front and the back. The supply line, which is the one I replaced, is hot but the return line isn't. I'm assuming air in the line. I am getting air bubbles in the expansion tank, so I figure it is doing its thing
If there is air trapped in front of the thermostat it could keep it from opening which would keep the hot water from flowing through the system.

what engine do you have? On the 5.7 and my old 4.7 there is a bleed screw (plug) on top of the thermostat housing which is on top of the water pump. You are supposed to pull that while you fill through the radiator until it starts to overflow from the port. On my WJ the bleed plug was seized so I had to "burp" the system over a couple of hours of heating up and cooling down, then checking and topping off over the next few days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts