Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang!

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I've been thinking of getting a rooftop tent for my 2007 Jeep Commander. The stock cross bars for the roof rack are rated for 150 pounds which is not nearly enough for the tent and one person much less two.

Can someone recommend heavy duty cross bars compatible with the 2007 Jeep Commander?

Thanks,
Tequila Matt

·
Administrator
16,153 Posts
@Teqila Matt Welcome to the forum! Give us some details and pics of your Commander.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,285 Posts
In the "Search Community" box above put in "roof rack" lots of good info.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,285 Posts
Several people have built cross bars using Unistrut. Most big box stores carry it along with several special bolts and nuts that work well. Search for unistrut in this forum search box above for others that have built them. See Strut Channel - The Home Depot

Reactions: 4GVN.ADV

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
@Tequila Matt - 'The stock cross bars for the roof rack are rated for 150 pounds' I know there are different load ratings, for when vehicle is not in motion and when it is in motion - I have the stock rails and a RTT wc is about 100lbs - I feel completely comfy with myself [170lbs + my son 100lbs] in the tent - totally unscientific comment! cheers!

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Commander Limited
10 Posts
@Tequila Matt - 'The stock cross bars for the roof rack are rated for 150 pounds' I know there are different load ratings, for when vehicle is not in motion and when it is in motion - I have the stock rails and a RTT wc is about 100lbs - I feel completely comfy with myself [170lbs + my son 100lbs] in the tent - totally unscientific comment! cheers!
View attachment 42323
@rewdboy My question about the stock crossbars is the curvature they seem to have. Does that curvature affect the RTT in the way it attaches or hinder it from being flat when sleeping in it?

·
Administrator
16,153 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.