Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone run the heavy metal spacers (3.5 in the front and 2 in the back)? If so, let me know what you think, and even attach pictures if you have them. thanks

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
So the heavy metal kit is an extended strut fork in the front IIRC. I have read that it does not quite lift as much as it says it does.

Any reason not to go with the tried and true rough country style lift?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the heavy metal kit is an extended strut fork in the front IIRC. I have read that it does not quite lift as much as it says it does.

Any reason not to go with the tried and true rough country style lift?
Yes.. I'm looking for a spacer that is about an each taller than the back spacer because the front of my commander heavily sags.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yes.. I'm looking for a spacer that is about an each taller than the back spacer because the front of my commander heavily sags.
Get new springs.

Every single commander sits low in the front from the factory, and every kit that I can think of lifts the front more than the rear.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I had serious sag in the front of my Commander, but swapping struts and adding the RC lift actually brought me to a slightly higher front end than rear. I don't think you'll have any trouble with a lower front end following the same procedure.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
I had serious sag in the front of my Commander, but swapping struts and adding the RC lift actually brought me to a slightly higher front end than rear. I don't think you'll have any trouble with a lower front end following the same procedure.
I'm running the 2 inch rough country lift as well - and initially, when I had it installed 2 + years ago, my front was slightly higher than my rear - same as yours judging from your description.

I've since changed my Shocks, struts and rear coil springs, so, I have Bilstein B6 4600 front struts, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks and new Chrysler Hemi-rated, rear coil springs which are a little heavier than the factory 4.7L rear springs.

I'm now sitting perfectly level, a little more than 3 inches above the original, factory ride height.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm running the 2 inch rough country lift as well - and initially, when I had it installed 2 + years ago, my front was slightly higher than my rear - same as yours judging from your description.

I've since changed my Shocks, struts and rear coil springs, so, I have Bilstein B6 4600 front struts, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks and new Chrysler Hemi-rated, rear coil springs which are a little heavier than the factory 4.7L rear springs.

I'm now sitting perfectly level, a little more than 3 inches above the original, factory ride height.
I'm already running the Hemi, so the Hemi rated coil springs are already installed. My plan to get closer to level is to install the Monroe F150 shocks. They'll add a little more lift, and since I'm towing more, they'll help with that as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
I'm already running the Hemi, so the Hemi rated coil springs are already installed. My plan to get closer to level is to install the Monroe F150 shocks. They'll add a little more lift, and since I'm towing more, they'll help with that as well.
Are the Monroe F150's load leveling shocks?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Are the Monroe F150's load leveling shocks?
That's correct. I've heard mixed reviews of them, but given that I'll be towing, I figure it's worth the $100 risk to try them out and hopefully help keep things stable. They also provide some lift when unloaded, and should give me the extra downward travel that stock rear shocks don't.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
That's correct. I've heard mixed reviews of them, but given that I'll be towing, I figure it's worth the $100 risk to try them out and hopefully help keep things stable. They also provide some lift when unloaded, and should give me the extra downward travel that stock rear shocks don't.
I understand now, let us know how they work for you, I'd be curious to hear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts