Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I installed my set of hella 500ff lights I bought. I did all the wiring just as specified and installed the switch in the wallet compartment to the lower left of the steering wheel. to my dismay when I turned my XK after the install and tried to turn on the lights they wouldn't turn on. I think it may be where I spliced into for the high beams. I spliced into the black wire located directly behind the light as the instructions told me to. i'm wondering if this was the right place and I hope i didn't do it for nothing. anyone else done a similar install? any advice for trouble shooting? sorry if this is a noob question i've never done wiring before...:icon_confused:

some details that may be helpful:

-i grounded the lamps near the hood latch
-i tried to see if the switch was upside down and tried both variations of wiring from the switch

if i can i'll try to post pics tomorrow to give anyone a better idea of whats going on.

thanks again

·
Registered
696 Posts
I wouldnt have spliced into high beams. I wouldve just simply ran them to the switch. The law says they need to be off when high beams are on but when you have your high beams on who is around to see that your fog lights are off.

Try to work backwards and just double check everything. All the positive is positive and negative negative and nothing is crossed. Then double, TRIPLE, check the switch.

·
1,993 Posts
Just to be safe run your ground to the battery. When I installed mine I flipped the switch and nothing came on first thing I did was move the ground to the battery and they came on. if that works leave the power on and make sure the lights work at the ground location you want. also if you have a test light or a multimeter you can trace the power Start at your splice and follow the power backwards to the lights if you have power at the lights and they don't work its your ground. if you find no power then the issue is between there and your last good connection

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice. USMCMP: I'm working with the relay they gave me and one is supposed to go to the high beams for power. should I run it to the battery instead to power it?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
You should run it to a switched ignition source. That way you dont need to worry about your battery dying if you had wired them constant and left the switch on by accident

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the tip. they work and look great now. tried them out on a country road tonight and it lit up like daytime.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Hey VMI11, can you give some details on what you ended up doing? (which wires, power source, ground, relay etc.) I'm going to do this sometime soon as well, and with my limited experience with wiring, I'll probably run into the same things you did. Thanks!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Take a pic of you rset up. What brush guard did you use?

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Airdog + ER NURSE, I'll take some pictures later this week and post them up. I'll try to draw up a more correct wiring diagram than the one they sent me (I ended up getting a more accurate diagram off the Hella website anyway). The brushguard is a carbon steel one I got off eBay, it came with holes to mount lights. Install was much easier than I expected, I'd never wired anything before but I felt comfortable doing it and was definitely proud of the product. I'm going to have to put washers underneath the mounts because I can't adjust them forward enough and when i first turned them on, I didn't know what was wrong then I looked up and saw a tree 90 feet ahead of me completely lit up haha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts