Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been a member of this site for a little while, but have only read others posts. I basically inherited a well over-used 2008 Commander Sport with the basic 3.7 v 6 engine with mostly 230,000 freeway miles it in October 2018. It's been a daily driver around town since then for me, but no long trips. I started to fix / repair some of the the basic things, and played around with some cosmetic fun things like the fake woody decals, mostly because as a retired 65 year old artist, I illustrate older "Woody" wagons and thought the Jeep could be some added advertising for my art work. It has gotten the comments. Either people love it or hate the looks. I like it obviously. Anyway, the poor engine is starting show it's miles and age. Since I have had it, I have debated several times whether or not to keep the vehicle, swap out the engine for a salvaged engine, or rebuild the stock motor. My jury is still out, but at the moment, I am thinking I'll keep the car and re-do whatever the engine needs, even replace it if needed. I haven't taken it to a mechanic yet for a inspection and opinion, but.... whatever.
I would like to make my Commander my go-to overland camping rig, and during and after Covid, hitting the road or exploring the trails sounds like fun. Would love to see what others have done to make their Commanders camping rigs. Thanks for read !

·
Premium Member
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
824 Posts
Is the wood work real wood or a kind of wrap? I have thought of doing that but still like the stock look. Wonder if there are others that have "Wrapped" their Commanders?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the wood work real wood or a kind of wrap? I have thought of doing that but still like the stock look. Wonder if there are others that have "Wrapped" their Commanders?
It was a decal application. I had it applied during Feb. of 2019 by a professional sign shop. It's held up really well, even after a pretty good door ding on a rear door.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
If you are attempting at overlanding your vehicle I recommend shopping around for a engine rebuild/replacement from a good known local machine shop. Next you may want to also invest in having any and all bushings looked over and upgraded. I only suggest upgrading since you have a goal to overland. Look into a Old Man Emu 2" lift from ARB which any local suspension shop hopefully should be able to help with. From there they may suggest a tire to suit your needs as well. The most important part seeing the mileage on your jeep is going to be wheel/hub bearings again with balljoints and bushings. Don't forget to have a look at the front diff mounts as those are known to fail.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been a member of this site for a little while, but have only read others posts. I basically inherited a well over-used 2008 Commander Sport with the basic 3.7 v 6 engine with mostly 230,000 freeway miles it in October 2018. It's been a daily driver around town since then for me, but no long trips. I started to fix / repair some of the the basic things, and played around with some cosmetic fun things like the fake woody decals, mostly because as a retired 65 year old artist, I illustrate older "Woody" wagons and thought the Jeep could be some added advertising for my art work. It has gotten the comments. Either people love it or hate the looks. I like it obviously. Anyway, the poor engine is starting show it's miles and age. Since I have had it, I have debated several times whether or not to keep the vehicle, swap out the engine for a salvaged engine, or rebuild the stock motor. My jury is still out, but at the moment, I am thinking I'll keep the car and re-do whatever the engine needs, even replace it if needed. I haven't taken it to a mechanic yet for a inspection and opinion, but.... whatever.
I would like to make my Commander my go-to overland camping rig, and during and after Covid, hitting the road or exploring the trails sounds like fun. Would love to see what others have done to make their Commanders camping rigs. Thanks for read !
View attachment 42339
Looks awesome!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts