Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!! I'm Barbara. New to this forum, new to any forum for that matter, and a virgin Commander person. I just purchased an 06 Commander Limited 4.7 2wd two days ago. I wasn't seeking one out, it was just by chance that I found it for my daughter who wrecked her vehicle and needed something to drive that would be big and safe enough for my grandson's car seats. Turns out they aren't going to total her car as I suspected so I jumped the gun in buying the commander. I got a good deal on it but it needs work. I'm not an expert but I have enough mechanical skill to follow directions well enough that I can generally do quite a bit myself...just takes me a lot longer than most! :smile2:

I'm undecided whether I will keep this rig or fix her up and sell her. But either way, there are things that need to be addressed so, here I am ready to learn. Looking forward to reading what appears to be a wealth of info and getting to know all of you!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hi there!! I'm Barbara. New to this forum, new to any forum for that matter, and a virgin Commander person. I just purchased an 06 Commander Limited 4.7 2wd two days ago. I wasn't seeking one out, it was just by chance that I found it for my daughter who wrecked her vehicle and needed something to drive that would be big and safe enough for my grandson's car seats. Turns out they aren't going to total her car as I suspected so I jumped the gun in buying the commander. I got a good deal on it but it needs work. I'm not an expert but I have enough mechanical skill to follow directions well enough that I can generally do quite a bit myself...just takes me a lot longer than most! :smile2:

I'm undecided whether I will keep this rig or fix her up and sell her. But either way, there are things that need to be addressed so, here I am ready to learn. Looking forward to reading what appears to be a wealth of info and getting to know all of you!
Barbara; Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you can; Here are some links if you want to order any other parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.com/store/account/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwiYG9BRCkgK-G45S323oSJABnykKAhh8eDfktvKOcXIbZZtyM9MiasWVk-Mba45s2yxNrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

JeepSteel Custom Bumpers - https://www.jeepsteel.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2006?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+/en/catalog/jeep

Also, please read the new member required reading below if you haven't done so already; lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front Left Seat Belt

The incessant dinging is driving me up a wall. I have to push the release on the receiver to get the male piece in, then let go and it will stay latched. But the seat belt light on the dash stays on and it chimes constantly as I'm driving. If I hold my mouth right and whack it really hard and in the right spot (Fonzie) then it will stop chiming and the light goes off on dash..until I move a little and then it all comes back on. I slammed on the brakes the other day just to see if the belt will hold and it doesn't..least not when its chiming. Occaisionally the airbag light comes on as well and I read that there is a connection between the two. I also read about various ways to turn off the dinger but I want to fix it, it won't chime if its functioning properly. Is replacing the female/receiver end my only option?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Missing Stereo causing communication problem??

CEL has been on since I bought it. Had them scan it at Orielly...cyl 6 misfire. Sunday I put a new set of plugs and replaced the COP boot on #6 as it was looking pretty rough. Test drive went well..no CEL. Yesterday, however, it came on again. Went to same Orielly, same guy but he couldn't get the scanner to communicate. He said he thought it might be because the stereo is missing since the communication goes through it before the cluster because it's the information center?? I've never heard of such a thing but that doesn't mean anything at all!:laugh2: Any validity to this? Wondering if I should find a stock replacement stereo before I do anything else.

Thanks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
It is possible....all the systems are controlled via the CAN BUS. Basically, a data communication system. The radio missing could cause a break in the chain or loop. I've seen this happen on other vehicles. was the radio in when the Cyl 6 Missfire was scanned the first time?

Try doing the key dance to see if the code will come up on the gauge display.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's 2 wires that come out of the bottom of the female end, it's just a little trigger in there. Sounds like a short/open in one or both of the wires.
I don't remember if they goes inside the center console or go into a harness under the driver seat. Pull out the driver seat and have a look....or maybe you can see something just by looking under the seat?

·
Registered
139 Posts
It sounds like you need to replace the whole seat belt pretensioner.
That is the part that your seatbelt snaps in to.
It is tied in with your airbag system. But it can also deploy on its own without the airbag going off.
Inside the pretensioner is a container of explosive gas with an igniter. And it tightens your seatbelt if you get into an accident.
Also whenever you see the airbag light on you dashboard. That means your air bag system is not functioning at that time.
Without seeing your seatbelt pretensioner . I don't know if it's already been deployed or not.

All that kind of stuff is really best done at the dealership. Because dealerships have the right tools to reprogram anything that goes wrong.
You may also check the yellow connection under the driver seat.It also gets loose and makes the dash light up. But it will not make you seat belt from engage like it is supposed to.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 10+ using speech to text

·
Premium Member
632 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is possible....all the systems are controlled via the CAN BUS. Basically, a data communication system. The radio missing could cause a break in the chain or loop. I've seen this happen on other vehicles. was the radio in when the Cyl 6 Missfire was scanned the first time?

Try doing the key dance to see if the code will come up on the gauge display.
Hey Wombler,

Thanks for the reply! The stereo has been missing since I bought it. There are obvious signs that the previous owner had an after market system of some sort in it.

I don't know what the key dance is but if you wouldn't mind teaching me the steps, I will give it a try!:smile2:

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your input. Little intimidated by the prospect of there being explosive gas in there! I'm going to go see if I can trace the wires down and hopefully find something loose or disconnected...hopefully!

Wish me luck!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pcm??

I have 2 codes:

U0101

P1603

From what I understand, both of these are pointing at having to possibly replace the PCM which is discontinued. The parts guy at my local dealership has indicated that they can send the PCM out to Cardone and have it rebuilt. I am gathering that this is a pretty common issue and am wondering if any of you folks may have experience dealing with this and any advice before I take it to the dealer and leave my right arm, leg, and possibly first born.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Big Blue! I appreciate all those links..I'm sure they'll come in handy. I think I have all my new member stuff in order, if I screw up it wont be on purpose lol! I've never been on or used a forum before so please forgive any future faux pas. Really enjoying reading...tons of info!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thank you Big Blue! I appreciate all those links..I'm sure they'll come in handy. I think I have all my new member stuff in order, if I screw up it wont be on purpose lol! I've never been on or used a forum before so please forgive any future faux pas. Really enjoying reading...tons of info!
No problem at all, it looks like you're doing just fine Barbara. Welcome aboard.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I have 2 codes:

U0101

P1603

From what I understand, both of these are pointing at having to possibly replace the PCM which is discontinued. The parts guy at my local dealership has indicated that they can send the PCM out to Cardone and have it rebuilt. I am gathering that this is a pretty common issue and am wondering if any of you folks may have experience dealing with this and any advice before I take it to the dealer and leave my right arm, leg, and possibly first born.

Thanks
Barbara,

U0101 I haven't heard of before; Here is what I found for it;

What does code U0101 mean?

Code U0101 stands for Lost Communication with TCM.
The transmission control module (TCM) is the computer that controls your vehicle’s transmission. Various sensors provide input to the TCM. It then uses this information to determine control of various outputs, such as the shift solenoids and torque converter clutch solenoid.

There are a number of other computers (referred to as modules) on board a vehicle. The TCM communicates with these modules over the controller area network (CAN) bus. CAN is a two-wire bus, consisting of the CAN High and CAN Low lines. There are two terminating resistors, one at each end of the CAN bus. These are needed to terminate communication signals which flow both ways.

Code U0101 indicates the TCM is not receiving or transmitting messages on the CAN bus.

U0101 symptoms

• An illuminated check engine light
  • Transmission performance issues
  • Problems with the instrument cluster PRNDL display
Get it diagnosed by a professional

Find a shop in your area

Common causes for U0101

Code U0101 is typically caused by one of the following:

• A dead battery
  • A faulty TCM
  • A problem with the TCM circuit
  • A problem with the CAN bus
How to diagnose and repair U0101

Perform a preliminary inspection

Sometimes U0101 can pop up intermittently, or it can result from a dead battery. This is especially true if the code is a history code and not current. Clear the code and see if it returns. If it does, the next step is to perform a visual inspection. A trained eye can check for issues such as broken wires and loose connections. If a problem is found, the issue should be repaired and the code cleared. If nothing is discovered, check for technical service bulletins (TSBs). TSBs are recommended diagnostic and repair procedures put out by the vehicle manufacturer. Finding a related TSB can greatly reduce diagnostic time.

Check the battery

Proper battery voltage is crucial for control module operation. Before proceeding, battery condition should be checked. Recharge or replace the battery as needed and clear the codes.

Check for other DTCs

Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) set for multiple modules indicate there may be a problem with the CAN network. In this case, a professional will begin by checking the network instead of focusing on the TCM.

Like any other circuit, the CAN bus can be checked for shorts, high resistance and opens. This is typically done at the data link Connector with a digital multimeter (DMM). There are 16 pins on the data link connector, with pins 6 and 14 being CAN high and CAN low. The DMM is connected to one or both of these pins for testing.

The two CAN terminating resistors can also be checked with a DMM at the data link connector. A normal reading for the resistors is 60 ohms, with the meter connected between pins 6 and 14. If one of the resistors fails, the bus typically remains operational. However, if both fail, the bus shuts down.

A breakout box is an alternate tool that can be used for network testing. This tool connects directly to the data link connector and is to monitor network activity.

Check the TCM

If everything is good up to this point, it’s time to start checking the TCM. A technician will begin by attempting to communicate with the TCM using a diagnostic scan tool. The scan tool connects to the vehicle via the diagnostic port. Once it’s hooked up, it acts like just another module on the CAN bus.
If the TCM doesn’t respond to the scan tool, the next step is to figure out why. Like any other electrical device, the TCM circuit must have proper power and ground. TCM circuit integrity can be checked with a DMM. If a problem is found, the factory wiring diagram will need to be traced and the circuit repaired.
By now, if everything else checks out, it’s time to focus on the TCM. Before replacing the TCM, it’s software should be checked. Many times, simply reprogramming the TCM will solve the problem. If programming isn’t the issue, the TCM will need to be replaced. In most cases, the new TCM will need to be programmed after installation.

Other diagnostic codes related to U0101

All the ‘U’ codes are network communication codes. Codes U0100 to U0300 are lost communication with XX module codes.

https://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-u0101-lost-communication-with-tcm

P1603 is below;

P1603: PCM Internal Dual Port Ram Communication - Dual port RAM communication link error;

Also, for future reference for you;

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Diagnostic Trouble Codes

https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/jeep-commander-transmission-problems/

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/58-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtc/

·
Registered
128 Posts
There are a number of other computers (referred to as modules) on board a vehicle. The TCM communicates with these modules over the controller area network (CAN) bus. CAN is a two-wire bus, consisting of the CAN High and CAN Low lines. There are two terminating resistors, one at each end of the CAN bus. These are needed to terminate communication signals which flow both ways.

Code U0101 indicates the TCM is not receiving or transmitting messages on the CAN bus.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Code U0101 is typically caused by one of the following:

• A dead battery
  • A faulty TCM
  • A problem with the TCM circuit
  • A problem with the CAN bus
You stated in a different thread that the auto parts place cant read your codes for DTCs because you don't have your radio in. I replied over there that this could possibly have an effect on the entire CAN bus....I wouldn't doubt this is also a result of the missing radio, or some CAN bus issue. These are kind of extreme fixes that aren't common, like having to get a new or re-flashed PCM. That's the main controller for all the engine systems....You should get the simpler things fixed before jumping to these major things that might not even be broken in the first place. I'm sure a lot of us have stock radios laying around we'll never use again we could send you, myself included- Just a matter of figuring out which one you need.

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for all your input. Little intimidated by the prospect of there being explosive gas in there! I'm going to go see if I can trace the wires down and hopefully find something loose or disconnected...hopefully!

Wish me luck!!

It is an easy fix. I just did both seats. Takes a little time but very much worth it. I got each lower assembly for $150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
You stated in a different thread that the auto parts place cant read your codes for DTCs because you don't have your radio in. I replied over there that this could possibly have an effect on the entire CAN bus....I wouldn't doubt this is also a result of the missing radio, or some CAN bus issue. These are kind of extreme fixes that aren't common, like having to get a new or re-flashed PCM. That's the main controller for all the engine systems....You should get the simpler things fixed before jumping to these major things that might not even be broken in the first place. I'm sure a lot of us have stock radios laying around we'll never use again we could send you, myself included- Just a matter of figuring out which one you need.
@Slobberpuppy;

Barbara; I merged all of your threads so the information is all consolidated in one place, rather than having to bounce around through 4 or 5 different threads to search for the answers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts