Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I wanted to make my introduction. I used to own an '04 KJ but I haven't had a Jeep in a while. I fondly remember having a Commander as a rental years ago and when I started thinking about a camping (can I say overlanding) truck as a project I started thinking about the XK again.

I am mostly looking at 208 to 2009 XK Overland trim for the 5.7 V8, the they all seem to have 115 to 165k miles and are in that $8 to $11k range. There is one near me that I think I might go test drive tomorrow.

I've been trying to read as much as I can online, but is there anything in particular I should be on the watch for while shopping?

Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Put in 4low and feel for the infamous upper axle bushing clunk. Also listen for exhaust leaks at the heads. Not a cheap job, due to the bolts breaking in the head. Best advice i can offer, is be willing to walk away and think it over.

Good luck on your search and dont forget to update with pics when you get one.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
Hello all!

I wanted to make my introduction. I used to own an '04 KJ but I haven't had a Jeep in a while. I fondly remember having a Commander as a rental years ago and when I started thinking about a camping (can I say overlanding) truck as a project I started thinking about the XK again.

I am mostly looking at 2008 to 2009 XK Overland trim for the 5.7 V8, the they all seem to have 115 to 165k miles and are in that $8 to $11k range. There is one near me that I think I might go test drive tomorrow.

I've been trying to read as much as I can online, but is there anything in particular I should be on the watch for while shopping?

Thanks!
@StevenMiller;

Welcome to the forum;

Everything you need to know when looking to buy a Commander is in this thread; Read it thoroughly and you should be all set;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/56546-looking-buy.html

·
Registered
128 Posts
Put in 4low and feel for the infamous upper axle bushing clunk. Best advice i can offer, is be willing to walk away and think it over.

Good luck on your search and dont forget to update with pics when you get one.
Yup, the axle bushings, which isn't really a deal breaker but can maybe get you some $$ off the asking price. Do some looking around here for what people have paid to have shops/dealerships do it vs. the effort to do it yourself.
The later year models you're shopping for are pretty safe from all the major engine issues. I doubt a mid-west Jeep is going to have rust issues, but check for it anyways- door jams all around, mostly under any plastic or rubber and under the plastic sliders exterior under the doors.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome to the group. I’m single owner on a 2008 Overland 5.7 QDII. I don’t ever plan to sell it. That’s all that needs to be said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
I doubt a mid-west Jeep is going to have rust issues, but check for it anyways- door jams all around, mostly under any plastic or rubber and under the plastic sliders exterior under the doors.
As a native Kansan, a midwest Jeep could definitely have rust issues but perhaps nothing like up north. I've rusted through two exhausts in other cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts