Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7L V8 4WD QTII
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I joined the forum a few weeks ago but haven't introduced myself yet. I bought an 07 Commander Limited, 4.8L QT2 a month or two back. It has about 130K mi on it. I wasn't even in the market for this car, but I saw one and took it for a test drive and kinda fell in love with it much to my surprise. I owned a '91 Wrangler Sahara in my 20's, which I still regret selling. So it's good to be back in a Jeep after all these years. TBH I don't know much about maintaining cars (which is why I joined this forum). It seems to run well overall (still not sure if I'm hearing rough idle or it's just the unfamiliar V8) There were NO maintenance records that came with the car so I have no clue what's been done and what needs doing. I know, not the wisest way to purchase a used vehicle, but... here we are :). So I'd like to find someone that knows Jeeps (or at least specializes in 4WDs) who can give it a full inspection and let me know what needs to be addressed soon and what I should keep an eye on to address later. I live in the South Shore of Massachusetts, so if there's anyone out there from this neck of the woods who has any suggestions on good, trustworthy shops, appreciate your suggestions! Looking forward to learning from this group, thanks!

·
Administrator
2006 Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadra-Drive II
15,857 Posts
@yep Welcome to the forum! Thank you for the excellent introductory post. You have a nice looking XK, and you will find lots ofd helpful information here in the forum to help keep it maintained and troubleshoot problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there - I live in Wareham MA and I have owned two Commanders for years and years. I just recently sold my silver one very similar to yours.
With the Comanders I have had overheat issues including dropping a valve seat and had to pull the heads off.

Things I look out for: Fluids -change the - front, rear Diff and Transfer case. Change the Tranny fluid.
Cooling issues - the water pump is up high in these engines. There is an allen plug on top of water housing that is the best place to fill.
Very important: the Commander has a rear heater. This heater goes into the firewall from two hoses connected to the front Pass side of engine.
The splitter where it goes into the firewall is a weird bakealite type plastic that crumbles. Keep an eye on them. Replace with brass tees and screw clamps when they go.

Front wheel bearings are easy but i need to do them every year or two when wife drives it.
I had computer issues on my 06 4.7. The transmission would limp every now and then - i couldn't figure it out and learned to pull the harness off computer to reset.
Eventually I bought a new computer off ebay with my vin programmed - worked great since.

Right now im doin my second engine on my 06. I got 245k out of it but headgasket blew and I found an engine cheap - decided it was best due to mileage.

The 4.7 hates sludge - change oil with synthetic.

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7L V8 4WD QTII
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very helpful info, thank you! I will get the fluids sorted asap. It sounds like you do most of the work on your vehicles yourself so maybe this is a dumb question, but got any recommendations on a repair shop that knows Jeeps here in the South Shore? I'm in Hingham. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts