Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Yall. I just bought a 2006 Jeep Commander and I know pretty much nothing about it. It runs and shifts fine. It seems to have one or more bad wheel sensors since the ABS light is on. The chime goes off whenever put into reverse so not sure what that's all about but maybe related to the wheel sensors. The outside is very nice and the interior looks fine but the carpet seems cheap and the whole thing seems to be not very well put together. It's out of gas and has one low tire so it seems to be a good starting point:)

I need to bring it home today and will post some pics and more info after that happens. Happy Thanksgiving!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A few phone pics for yall. It's in pretty good shape overall but it does have a few problems. Dry rotted tires, loose/broken plastic everywhere, ESP/BAS..ABS..TC lights all on. Key fob doesn't work. a hard rattle in the right front. Dirty muddy water in the radiator. Operation light controls on console panel unreadable/illegible. One wire disconnected on the rear defrost. Passenger side mirror cracked and no power operation. Left headlight broken and all fasteners missing on the grill. Right rear power window doesn't work. Park Assist alarms whenever put into reverse (I turned it off.) DVD player catch broken so it hangs down. Mis-matched rear panels and rear HVAC controls don't work. Carpet beyond filthy and it smells like a pissy diaper.

BUT.....I drove it home without a problem. It runs great....smooth and very quiet no smoke or funny noises. Except for listed above everything else seems to work fine, including the DVD player, which included the remote:) The power heated leather seats are in pretty good condition and they work great. So I'm pretty happy. You'll notice the rear seats are out and that's for a reason. They won't be going back in so if anyone wants them......they're free!

IMG_0942.JPG IMG_0943.JPG IMG_0944.JPG IMG_0945.JPG IMG_0946.JPG

·
Administrator
6,970 Posts
A few phone pics for yall. It's in pretty good shape overall but it does have a few problems. Dry rotted tires, loose/broken plastic everywhere, ESP/BAS..ABS..TC lights all on. Key fob doesn't work. a hard rattle in the right front. Dirty muddy water in the radiator. Operation light controls on console panel unreadable/illegible. One wire disconnected on the rear defrost. Passenger side mirror cracked and no power operation. Left headlight broken and all fasteners missing on the grill. Right rear power window doesn't work. Park Assist alarms whenever put into reverse (I turned it off.) DVD player catch broken so it hangs down. Mis-matched rear panels and rear HVAC controls don't work. Carpet beyond filthy and it smells like a pissy diaper.

BUT.....I drove it home without a problem. It runs great....smooth and very quiet no smoke or funny noises. Except for listed above everything else seems to work fine, including the DVD player, which included the remote:) The power heated leather seats are in pretty good condition and they work great. So I'm pretty happy. You'll notice the rear seats are out and that's for a reason. They won't be going back in so if anyone wants them......they're free!

View attachment 41883 View attachment 41884 View attachment 41885 View attachment 41886 View attachment 41887
@richamor;

Welcome to the forum; That's a nice clean looking XK you've got your hands on, congrats;

Here are some links if you need to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.c...unt/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

4 inch XK Superlift;
AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAj...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

Jeep Steel Bumpers
4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read the New Member Required Reading below; Lots of good information for new members here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks & again, welcome aboard, I hope you find this information useful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Blue! Always nice to have good info neatly organized. This Jeep is destined to take me and the missus overland. Alaska first then wherever.

First order is getting everything inside sorted and everything working as it should. Dash lights, button labels, mirror, window, keys, etc. Once the inside is all working I can turn to the engine. New plugs, flush and fill the coolant, the PS, and brake system. Oil and filter, air filter, and whatever else I can find. Also need to put a second battery in so a new air intake will be needed. A SNORKLE!!:ROFLMAO: Then on to the drive line. Flush and fill the trans along with a new pan. Hopefully I can find one that holds a few extra qts of fluid and has a drain plug. Drain and fill front and rear diffs and inspect the front drive shaft knuckles and boots. Replace if necessary.

Then to fixing problems. New wheel sensors on each corner along with new brakes and wheel /axel bearings if needed. Most likely a lift kit with new shocks will go on that that time. Skid plates will be added and finally new tires. Then to dealer (or friend that does this sort of thing) to check for software updates.

In the meantime I need to get the interior setup for camping. We have a RTT but I want some extra rack crossbars to spread the weight. Add rack mounts to the rear, maybe replace the rear side glass with aluminum panels, replace bumpers, add rear tire carrier and mounts.

That should be a good start on things anyway. As always $$$ (or lack of) will be the biggest hurdle. Once I get time to get started and start getting materials I'll start a build thread. Lots to do and want it to be ready to hit the road by Spring.

Reactions: Big Blue

·
Administrator
6,970 Posts
Thanks Blue! Always nice to have good info neatly organized. This Jeep is destined to take me and the missus overland. Alaska first then wherever.

First order is getting everything inside sorted and everything working as it should. Dash lights, button labels, mirror, window, keys, etc. Once the inside is all working I can turn to the engine. New plugs, flush and fill the coolant, the PS, and brake system. Oil and filter, air filter, and whatever else I can find. Also need to put a second battery in so a new air intake will be needed. A SNORKLE!!:ROFLMAO: Then on to the drive line. Flush and fill the trans along with a new pan. Hopefully I can find one that holds a few extra qts of fluid and has a drain plug. Drain and fill front and rear diffs and inspect the front drive shaft knuckles and boots. Replace if necessary.

Then to fixing problems. New wheel sensors on each corner along with new brakes and wheel /axel bearings if needed. Most likely a lift kit with new shocks will go on that that time. Skid plates will be added and finally new tires. Then to dealer (or friend that does this sort of thing) to check for software updates.

In the meantime I need to get the interior setup for camping. We have a RTT but I want some extra rack crossbars to spread the weight. Add rack mounts to the rear, maybe replace the rear side glass with aluminum panels, replace bumpers, add rear tire carrier and mounts.

That should be a good start on things anyway. As always $$$ (or lack of) will be the biggest hurdle. Once I get time to get started and start getting materials I'll start a build thread. Lots to do and want it to be ready to hit the road by Spring.
I'll be looking forward to hearing about your experiences - both good & bad;

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Welcome richamor. I have found the Pull A Part salvage yards in North/ South Carolina/ Georgia to be great sources for interior parts. You take your own tools and go "shopping". There is usually at least one Commander in the yards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Sniperdoc. Crawling the Pull A Part, or junkyards as we used to call them, is something I enjoy doing. It seems that there are fewer and fewer of them these days though and pickings are slim. It's on the list though. Ebay seems to be working right now though. I've been busy with work for the past week so not a lot done. So far.....

New headlights. The right one was broken and the left was so cloudy I decided to replace both. That's when I discovered the bumper cover had to be completely removed. Of course half of the plastic retainers are gone so it wasn't that difficult. The new ones should be here tomorrow.

Dash switch packs. Whatever you want to call them but the row of switches in the dash above/below the HVAC controls. Replaced the bottom row and made labels for the top. Cleaned them up and replaced the lights in the HVAC panels. Looks much better but need to replace the lights behind the switches. Anyone have an idea as to what bulb? They're awfully small. And the heated seats work!!! Not very well but they do work so that's something.

New tires😁😁😁. Looks SOOO much better with the BF Goodrich TA Radials KO2 instead of those mis-matched dry rotted things that it came with. And I know it will ride and drive better.

Still have the bas/esp light on. Tried cranking the wheel lock to lock 3 times but nada. The ABS light went off but the brakes started acting weird. Hard pedal and hard pulsation and growling noise. But only for a second.....after that was smooth and quiet. Odd problem. But new wheel sensors are on the way so we'll see what that does. The ABS light does come on when the key is turned on so the bulb is OK.

Turned on/off 3 times for the DTC codes. None

Mechanically the Jeep seems to be in good shape. All the brakes look good. CV joints and boots seem to be in good condition. Exhaust looks good. The trans pan is leaking but the fluid is due for changing so that will be fixed. The thermostat housing seems to be leaking but the radiator is due for flush and fill so that is also on the list.

The interior has been gutted. All that's left is the front seats. I'll get started with the rear storage cabinet here in the next few days. I'll get some pics up shortly of progress but it ain't much to see.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I look forward to seeing your pictures.

If you are going to flush the radiator, and it sounds like you are willing to spend a little up front to fix it up for the long haul, go ahead and replace all the coolant hoses, including the heater hoses which are prone to breaking off at the tee going into the firewall.

I would also suggest putting a new water pump with a metal impeller in as well.

These vehicles are designed to work with HOAT type antifreeze/coolant, not the green coolant. Zerex G05 is a good one.

Also it would be a good idea to run some oil degunker/ motor flush just before oil change.
When you put new oil in, make sure it is synthetic 5w 20 only. The oil passages and oil pump do not work well with thicker oils, and can severely gunk up, otherwise.

Lastly, when you begin to hear a ticking noise in the engine, or you get close to 200k miles, change the hydraulic valve lifters, or you will throw a rocker, which can result in serious damage.

It is my belief that letting the engine overheat because of low coolant or failed water pump, or head gasket, is the #1 cause of Commander failure. #2 is failed lifters, in my opinion. Both of which I also think are largely preventable with preventative maintenance, except the head gasket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We've been dealing with the loss of our middle daughter so not much done to the Jeep. But I find garage time therapeutic so little bits here and there. New headlights in and front end put back together. Waiting on new clips to finish it up properly. I've never seen so many body panels held on simply by plastic clips. New wiper blades and rear hatch/window struts. Still have the fluids to service and plugs to change so lots to do still. ESP/BAS and TC still on. But......with the new wheel sensors installed the ABS light is off and the brakes seems to be working great. I think I need to drive it a bit more than just the mile or so around the block. Tags and insurance are the next thing I think. Put it on the road and see how it does with some real drive time.

Still working on the interior. Laid down some sound deadener mat in the rear and cleaned it up a bit. Need to start some carpentry work here pretty soon.

And as an aside.....please don't drink and drive. I have a beautiful 3yo grand-daughter that will grow up without a Mom because of one mans carelessness. Of course he won't get to see his kids grow up either so it's pretty much a lose/lose.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Richamor, that is just awful. I cannot possibly think of anything worse than what you are going through. I express my deepest sympathies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Sniperdoc. It's tough that's a fact. But garage time gives me a chance to talk to her so.....

New plugs. But the seals on 2 coil boots were disintegrated so I ordered 4 to replace all on that side. On to the tranny service. Dropped the pan and changed the filters. Went to clean the pan and after I got it all nice and shiny I noticed a bend on the flange. That could explain the leak so ordered a new pan. After a successful afternoon I decided to quit while I was ahead:) As soon as the parts come in I'll finish the plugs and tranny service. Then it's oil, f&r diffs, and transfer case fluids. And that should finish the initial service except for the cooling system which will be a little more involved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well......still waiting on the plug boot seals. Over a week from Ohio and still not here. Gotta love the USPS.(n)

Anyhoo.....I did get the trans pan so that has been installed along with the new filters and gasket. I found not 1, not 2, but 3 screw holes stripped out. Fortunately a 1/4-20 tap was just the right size to get a good thread without having to drill:)

Started on the rear platform and got that mostly done. Still need to do some finishing up and get it carpeted but well on the way. Got a new code scanner....nothing I didn't already know showed up on the initial scan. I really need to drive it to see what clears and what pops up. Swapped the interior lights out for LED.

And that's about it until I can get it started. I'll post up some pics later today or tomorrow.

MERRY CHRISTMAS Y'ALL!!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Progress!!! of a sort anyway:)

Have a look at this "coolant". LOL!!! Yep, that's good ole SC red mud in the bottom of the pan.

Yep....That's straight out of the radiator. The top is no better:

Both hoses swollen. Thermostat housing leaking. So all new parts on the way including heater hoses for the w/o rear HVAC. I have that but we never plan a need for it so disconnecting it is no loss. But along with the heater hoses I will be replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses, the water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt and tensioner, and the transmission cooler hoses that are leaking. All that AFTER a good system flush with distilled water.

But the rear platform is finished.

The dash looks much better. Note those supercool custom labels on the top pb panel:). I was able to find a bottom panel at a decent price so that one was replaced. All of the lights have been replaced so it looks muuuuch better at night. I had a couple of missing/broken vents but was able to get the whole dash pad for less than some wanted just for the 2 vents!

Notice that new coil pack hiding under there? Installed along with new NGK copper plugs and a smear of silicone grease. Although it ran great before it's much smoother and quieter now. Starts faster now too.

And although it's hard to see the front plastic is all clipped in now. The new headlights look much better too I think.

And finally the new LEDs installed. Cheap Jeep used the prong type bulb holder rather than the fully shrouded socket type so getting a reliably firm connection is a hit and miss.

No pic but I did fix the passenger sun visor light. Replaced 2 screws and tightened it up was all it took.

I'm thinking the sunroof may be leaking so I blew out the drains but I might pull the headliner and have a look at those hoses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked the drain lines on the sunroof and cleaned them out with a trombone brush (a Miata trick) Drains fine on both sides now and no leaks.

More baby steps.... new upper coolant hose and serpentine belt

hard to see but there's a new water pump, lower coolant hose belt tensioner, and fan clutch in there as well. What you can't see is the new thermostat

not a good pic but 2 new heater hoses. I disconnected the rear hvac unit so they were easier and cheaper to replace:)

And notice the pretty green coolant? this is temporary as I plan to flush the radiator again at the next oil change.

Service items left are F&R diffs and transfer case fluid change. New OME lift is ordered as well as some JBA UCAs. New 1.5" wheel spacers are installed and torqued with blue loc tite. I have the trans cooler lines off now and will replace those tomorrow. THAT should be the end of any leaks.

At this point I still need to address the esp/bas and TC light and sort out some sort of long range fuel system. Looking to place an order with JeepSteel in the next few weeks for rear bumper front winch mount and other bits and pieces to make it overland ready.

As it stands now sans wheel spacers. Nevermind the messy garage:)

I THINK I have all of the plastic clipped in to place now. This thing was missing a dozen or more clips and that many again of plastic rivets.

More to come later......

·
Administrator
15,610 Posts
And notice the pretty green coolant? this is temporary as I plan to flush the radiator again at the next oil change.
@richamor You should only use a HOAT coolant . The only 2 options are the OEM Mopar coolant or Zerex G-05.

Coolant B.JPG

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Preston universal is, according to them, HOAT compatable. So that will do for now. It’s better than the pond water that was in there to start with. And after a few hundred miles I will have it pressure flushed and filled with the specified coolant. I just couldn’t see spending the extra bucks just to flush the system out.

·
Administrator
15,610 Posts
The Preston universal is, according to them, HOAT compatable.
I can assure you that it is not compatible, no matter what they say. I gave you the page from the Owner's Manual in my comment above. But it is your vehicle and you can do what you want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts