Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I'm Alex,proud new owner of a high mileage '06 Hemi Limited Commander.
Loving the jeep so far. As can be expected with a vehicle this age, it does have some issues. Biggest issue is a clunk when I shift from P to drive or reverse. I went to an AAMCO to have it checked out, they told me that three differential mounts had collapsed. They wanted a $1000 to replace them, that figure includes service to the differential (new fluid).

Now I searched the forum, and found that the front differential Bushings often cause this problem. I have a couple of basic questions and I hope some of you will be able to help me with this.
1: Are bushings part of the mount?
2: how many front differential mounts/bushings are there?
3: Does $1000 sound reasonable to you?

Thank you!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Can’t answer any of those questions...but WELCOME!! I’m north of you, Bay Area, it’s nice to have more CA folk on here!

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
Hello everybody, I'm Alex,proud new owner of a high mileage '06 Hemi Limited Commander.
Loving the jeep so far. As can be expected with a vehicle this age, it does have some issues. Biggest issue is a clunk when I shift from P to drive or reverse. I went to an AAMCO to have it checked out, they told me that three differential mounts had collapsed. They wanted a $1000 to replace them, that figure includes service to the differential (new fluid).

Now I searched the forum, and found that the front differential Bushings often cause this problem. I have a couple of basic questions and I hope some of you will be able to help me with this.
1: Are bushings part of the mount?
2: how many front differential mounts/bushings are there?
3: Does $1000 sound reasonable to you?

Thank you!
@ElKomander;

I believe there are 2 front differential bushings - upper & lower. Typically it's the upper front differential bushing that wears out when you start hearing the front end clunking. However that is not necessarily the only thing that could be causing the issue - could be sway bar links and or some other front end component going bad like the bushings in your front upper or lower control arms.

And $1,000 sounds ridiculously expensive if it is in fact a front upper differential bushing issue.

Anyway, Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you can.

Here are some links to help you out if you want to do more upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The jeep needs some tlc, but eventually i will put some pictures up. I took it to a couple of places and they are telling me it looks like the motor mounts are no good. When the mechanic pressed the gas i could see the hemi jump up on the driver's side. Maybe ill have that fixed first and go from there. I have a k&n airfilter coming and im replacing the oil with full synthetic. Right now i have to really work for it to get 10 mpg in the city. I should probably look at the state of the spark plugs as well to see if i can get that up a little. Thanks for all the info big blue, ive got lots of reading to do.

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
The jeep needs some tlc, but eventually i will put some pictures up. I took it to a couple of places and they are telling me it looks like the motor mounts are no good. When the mechanic pressed the gas i could see the hemi jump up on the driver's side. Maybe ill have that fixed first and go from there. I have a k&n airfilter coming and im replacing the oil with full synthetic. Right now i have to really work for it to get 10 mpg in the city. I should probably look at the state of the spark plugs as well to see if i can get that up a little. Thanks for all the info big blue, ive got lots of reading to do.
My pleasure ElKomander, let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I installed the K&N filter. Dropping off the kids this morning the MPG on the dashboard hit the magical number of 10.5 for a second, an all time city mpg high for me, up from 10.3 . I just put 17 gallons in the jeep so I'm monitoring how far those will take me. Also, I just figured out that my tires are a little bit larger, 245/70R17. Using the GPS on my phone it seems like I'm going a little faster than my speedometer reads, so I think it was never adjusted for the bigger tires. That means my actual mpg is a whooping 3% better compared to the readouts, right?
After I get all the fluids changed out I might try the flashpaq. This beast is not made for stop and go city driving (Its a schoolbus right now) but I'd like to get the most out of it

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
Using the GPS on my phone it seems like I'm going a little faster than my speedometer reads, so I think it was never adjusted for the bigger tires. That means my actual mpg is a whooping 3% better compared to the readouts, right?
After I get all the fluids changed out I might try the flashpaq. This beast is not made for stop and go city driving (Its a schoolbus right now) but I'd like to get the most out of it
Adjusting the speedo for the larger tire size will help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took my jeep to get a third opinion. Engine mounts are fine, however i do need all the front differential bushings replaced. They quoted me 400 on parts and a 1000 on labor. Wow... Using the websites big blue provided i was able to find the three parts for around 190 including shipping... The same parts from crown automotive are about $80. Does anyone have any experience with those? Im hoping not to have to do the same repairs 10000 miles from now. Maybe i should just stick with the factory parts. Now ill i havd to do is find a mechanic who will do the job for a more reasonable amount.

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
Took my jeep to get a third opinion. Engine mounts are fine, however i do need all the front differential bushings replaced. They quoted me 400 on parts and a 1000 on labor. Wow... Using the websites big blue provided i was able to find the three parts for around 190 including shipping... The same parts from crown automotive are about $80. Does anyone have any experience with those? Im hoping not to have to do the same repairs 10000 miles from now. Maybe i should just stick with the factory parts. Now ill i havd to do is find a mechanic who will do the job for a more reasonable amount.
That labor quote sounds extremely high to me.

I even question the parts quote based on what you found.

You might want to look for a more reputable shop that has more reasonable labor rates.

·
Registered
336 Posts
How much total labor does your fix entail? A lot of places in the Bay Area charge between $150-$200 an hour just for labor, NOT including anything they consider “extremities” labor. Silly.

So, depending on the amount of work that it involves, $1000 may be the ball park number.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, i believe they have to take the weels off, take the front differential off, remove the bushobgs (looks to be a real pain) and put everything back. Aamco would charge around 600 in labor, a small local shop wants a 1000..i was thinking they would be cheaper. I asked a jeep dealership for a quote as well, waiting on that. You are probably not far off with the 150 an hour rate.

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
Well, i believe they have to take the weels off, take the front differential off, remove the bushobgs (looks to be a real pain) and put everything back. Aamco would charge around 600 in labor, a small local shop wants a 1000..i was thinking they would be cheaper. I asked a jeep dealership for a quote as well, waiting on that. You are probably not far off with the 150 an hour rate.
Depends on the shop or dealership;

I've seen some Chrysler/Jeep dealerships recently, that only charge $85.00 an hour for labor - don't take the $150.00 an hour rate as gospel - that sounds very much on the high-side to me.

Shop around and read the Google reviews on any shop you are considering going to - most of the time, they will tell you all you need to know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive inquired at a dealership as well, waiting on their quote. For now, the commander stays parked and im back to driving a Dodge grand caravan... Damn

·
Registered
336 Posts
Depends on the shop or dealership;

I've seen some Chrysler/Jeep dealerships recently, that only charge $85.00 an hour for labor - don't take the $150.00 an hour rate as gospel - that sounds very much on the high-side to me.

Shop around and read the Google reviews on any shop you are considering going to - most of the time, they will tell you all you need to know.
Yes, do research..but in the Bay Area, that’s pretty much gospel ??

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
Yes, do research..but in the Bay Area, that’s pretty much gospel ??
Last I checked - @ElKomander is not in the Bay Area.....he is to the south of the Bay Area correct?

Hopefully he can find a better price down there....I'm sorry but $150.00 an hour for labor is just ridiculous in any part of the U.S. that I've ever been in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I am in LA county, and not in the fancy part, so i do hope i will be able to find a better price. I don't think the last owners did a good job on maintenance so i have a bunch of things coming up so keeping the price down is pretty important to me. In the first couple of weeks i already had to replace the battery, the air filter and two tires. Now i have to replace every single fluid in the car, including blinker fluid and im pretty sure the spark plugs need to go as well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes, he’s way south of the bay. BUT LA ain’t that cheap either lol. And $150 around here is considered a good deal. Thought about taking the jeep to Reno to get some stuff done....but that’s just silly.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You know, come to think of it...if you can make it to corona or Ontario, they should be a little cheaper. It’s a drive but it may worth checking it out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts