Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Taking it to Corona or Ontario is not a bad idea, if u cant find anything here im going to try that, thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
So I made a wish list, any thoughts?

2006 Limited Hemi 5.7 QD2 (2005, so its an early one)

Spark plugs: Champion copper 570 or Bosch 9654 Double Iridium
Transfer case fluid: Genuine Chrysler Accessories (5016796AC) NV 245/247/249 Transfer Case Lubricant 5016796AC – 2 Quarts (or 3 just in case?)
Automatic Transmission: Mopar ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid – 1.3 Gallon?
Coolant - 68048953AB Genuine Mopar Fluid 68048953AB Antifreeze/Coolant - 1 Gallon Bottle
Differential fluid: Royal Purple 01301 Max Gear Synthetic Gear Oil 75W140 – 4 or 5 qt
Limited slip additive 4318060AD 4oz
I'm a little torn between the spark plugs, I don't want any stalling but I do like the idea of upgrading them.

·
Administrator
6,697 Posts

Transfer case fluid: Genuine Chrysler Accessories (5016796AC) NV 245/247/249 Transfer Case Lubricant 5016796AC – 2 Quarts (or 3 just in case?)
Coolant - 68048953AB Genuine Mopar Fluid 68048953AB Antifreeze/Coolant - 1 Gallon Bottle
Differential fluid: Royal Purple 01301 Max Gear Synthetic Gear Oil 75W140 – 4 or 5 qt
I'm a little torn between the spark plugs, I don't want any stalling but I do like the idea of upgrading them.
The only thing I'll comment on is the spark plugs, I'd strongly recommend using only the factory spec spark plugs.

I know guys that have tried upgrading their spark plugs and done so with no issues - and I know guys that have done it and had nothing but headaches.

Personally, I think you are better off sticking with the factory spec spark plugs, those older Hemi's are finicky enough as it is.

·
Registered
393 Posts

how long you planning to keep the commander? how often do you plan to change fluids and plugs? are you doing the work yourself?
I'd go with cheaper but quality stuff: champion plugs, lucas hydraulic fluid for the xfer case, walmart syntec fluids for trans and gear fluids, and zerex g05 coolant. I use all the same in mine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the advise guys.
A friend of mine knows a retired mechanic, he is going to work on the jeep. Since the jeep is getting closer to the 170k mile mark I figured with the iridium sparkplugs it would likely be the last time I needed to change them. However, I'm going to take the advice I got and go with the copper factory plugs. I plan on driving the jeep for a long time, although I don't think I would put that many miles on her. I want to change every single fluid now because I have no idea when it was done last. After that I plan on changing them on or before factory recommendation. I'm going to look into the syntec fluids and zerex coolant. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah, I'd at least do a full system flush. Chris Fix on youtube has done a couple of these, and many other DIY videos, so you can learn from him on there. I actually need to do this myself, just haven't had the time.

For the spark plugs, totally up to you. However, I know most people who change them DIY don't always pay attention to the gapping...this is where you start running into problems. When I had my Liberty, the first time I changed them myself, with upgraded plugs, I just put the new ones in without checking the proper gap specs and ran into a ton of problems...so had to go back and redo them all. After that, everything worked fine. BUT, that was also on a smaller engine...I think the commander has like 16 plugs???? That's a lot lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Honestly, I have no experience with car maintenance. I talked to the mechanic and he is very talkative and willing to pass on some knowledge. Im going to assist him and learn. I like tge Chris fix videos, he really seems to know what he is doing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Does anyone know if the Limited slip additive has to be added to just the rear differential or to the front as well? On a qd2. I thought i had read only to the rear but i cant find where i read it and i want to know if i need to buy an additional 4 oz of Limited slip additive.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
It is a crap shoot on the plugs. I would stay with the OEM spec. Royal Purple has not done well in some tests for the gear oil. May want to look at Redline or Amsoil severe gear. Regardless, you will need the Mopar additive for each axle. Xerex G05 is fine for the coolant. Just don't use coolant marked Universal or similar. For the transmission I would recommend replacing both filters when you change the fluid.

·
Registered
393 Posts
wix has a kit with both filters and a gasket. unfortunately, the trans pan doesnt have a drain plug. watchout and drop the pan carefully at the rear first to drain the fluid out before dropping the whole thing or you will have big mess to clean up!

unfortunately there are 2 filter sizes for shallow or deep pans. i think we have the deep pans on the 545 trans but have not confirmed.
im going to try this pan next time i change the fluid https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-67246-265-817.aspx

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Would you have any suggestions on what filters to get?
I used the Wix kit from Amazon. The Mopar dealer filters are not expensive either. The Wix comes with a handy gasket.

I replaced the drain pan with a PML on my V10 Ram several years ago. Just be careful either way to use a good torque wrench when reinstalling.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi guys, just wanted to give a quick update. I got a third quote from a jeep dealer, $1050 for parts and labor. So what I did is I bought the parts from a dealer (through amazon). They looked legit, good reviews. Package arrived, two bushings and the mount, in mopar packaging and with the right stickers and everything, 130 bucks. Took it to my friends mechanic and he installed everything with the help of a friend (80 year old retired mechanic!) They replaced the bushings and changed the front and rear differential fluid for $250 in labor. With the differential oil and additives my total cost was $450. No more clunk! I am very happy with the results.
Today I took the jeep to get an alignment. One of my tpms sensors didn't work so a while back I bought 4 replacements on ebay and they were just sitting there in a box. They charged 15 dollars for putting it in, so I will just replace them as the batteries go out. It worked! No more annoying tpms warning message.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yeah it does feel good. Im thinking about changing the transmission fluid and filters myself,maybe with the help of my brother in law who does know what he is doing.

·
Administrator
6,697 Posts
One of my tpms sensors didn't work so a while back I bought 4 replacements on ebay and they were just sitting there in a box. They charged 15 dollars for putting it in, so I will just replace them as the batteries go out. It worked! No more annoying tpms warning message.
Nice work.....I have no TPM sensors, I might actually try replacing them in the next month or 2.

·
Administrator
6,697 Posts
Yeah it does feel good. Im thinking about changing the transmission fluid and filters myself,maybe with the help of my brother in law who does know what he is doing.
I wouldn't do it without someone that is very familiar with the process, these 545RFE transmissions are very finicky and have to be sealed just right or you'll wind up having problems.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts