Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from FLA. New to the forum and Jeeps. I purchased a 2006 Commander Limited Hemi 2WD in October 2018. 125K miles on it, nice deep red paint (which I love) and some chrome accents. I love the boxy-style SUV's like these Jeeps so I was happy to finally get one. Dealer said it was just serviced by them before I bought it - I should have checked the oil. Sent it to New York with the wife and kids to spend time with family. 3 weeks after they left, it was run dry of oil and blew the motor. No signs of oil leaks, and only the Transmission Overheating light came on prior to the motor going bye-bye.

So I own a nice looking lawn ornament which is sitting at a mechanic's shop in NC until I can pay the man $4,900 for a rebuilt.

I'm not crazy about Jeeps (or the Chrysler/Dodge family), but like I said, I love the style of the Commander. I plan on many mods to it once I get it back in February.

Looking forward to reading, asking and showing all things Commander in the near future.

Be safe,

G

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello from FLA. New to the forum and Jeeps. I purchased a 2006 Commander Limited Hemi 2WD in October 2018. 125K miles on it, nice deep red paint (which I love) and some chrome accents. I love the boxy-style SUV's like these Jeeps so I was happy to finally get one. Dealer said it was just serviced by them before I bought it - I should have checked the oil. Sent it to New York with the wife and kids to spend time with family. 3 weeks after they left, it was run dry of oil and blew the motor. No signs of oil leaks, and only the Transmission Overheating light came on prior to the motor going bye-bye.

So I own a nice looking lawn ornament which is sitting at a mechanic's shop in NC until I can pay the man $4,900 for a rebuilt.

I'm not crazy about Jeeps (or the Chrysler/Dodge family), but like I said, I love the style of the Commander. I plan on many mods to it once I get it back in February.

Looking forward to reading, asking and showing all things Commander in the near future.

Be safe,

G
Welcome. Sorry to hear about the blown motor though.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

Be safe,

G
Welcome to the forum @g_ster from a fellow Floridian; Sorry to hear about your motor, but look at the bright side; Once you pay the bill, you know your motor will be good for the next decade at least, with what should be minimal issues;

Post some pics of your Commander when you can; Here are some links to help you out if you want to do upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and sorry about the bad luck. Seems to be fairly common with used XK pickups, hey it even happened to me. After about a year and a half, my XK suffered a cracked valve spring, dropped into the chamber and catastrophic damage. I ultimately ponied up for a remanned Jasper engine because the rest of the car was/is in stellar condition and it's the biggest Jeep ever made, I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did but it's really grown on me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the welcome.

The only pics I have are one after I got it, and one on the way to the mechanic. I'll post them when my count gets high enough. The interior is leather (tan) with three rows, DVD, Nav, Sunroof and moonroofs for rear passengers. I really like it. Hope to have it running and working on mods by summer.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thank you all for the welcome.

The only pics I have are one after I got it, and one on the way to the mechanic. I'll post them when my count gets high enough. The interior is leather (tan) with three rows, DVD, Nav, Sunroof and moonroofs for rear passengers. I really like it. Hope to have it running and working on mods by summer.
Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Commander is coming home tomorrow. Bad water pump = motor malfunction.

Reman plus pump with 3 year warranty was about $5k. Will post pics later this week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I couldn't reply to your PM because my post count isn't high enough but my Commander has the stock struts/shocks and coils off a Grand Cherokee SRT8. They bolt right on and only lower the Commander about 1 inch. The ride is just slightly stiffer than stock but handles very controlled. I have no complaints. Looking forward to some pics as you start modifying it.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I couldn't reply to your PM because my post count isn't high enough but my Commander has the stock struts/shocks and coils off a Grand Cherokee SRT8. They bolt right on and only lower the Commander about 1 inch. The ride is just slightly stiffer than stock but handles very controlled. I have no complaints. Looking forward to some pics as you start modifying it.
FYI, I believe 15 is the magic number.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is it bad that all i can think about doing with a 2wheel drive Hemi commander is lots and lots of Donuts!
Enjoy that new motor g_ster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts