Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new to the forum. Hope everyone is well.

Just some info about me. My son recently turned 16 and got his DL, so we set about searching for a vehicle. Settled on a 2006 Commander (specifics in profile). He loves it (and so do I), and I've set about trying to familiarize myself with Jeep in general, and the Commander in particular. Came across this site and thought it would be good to join. Here some interesting things that we've experienced with the vehicle so far:

- We drove about 2 hours to buy the Commander. On the way home, with me driving, the Nav screen went on the fritz (uh oh). In fact, the NAV screen completely went out, and half the stereo stopped working. Found out through later research that this is fairly common.

- The following day, the vehicle threw an engine light (again, uh oh). Found a youtube video about how to pull the codes - i.e., turning the key from off to on in rapid succession a few times. That worked to get the codes AND - surprise, surprise - it also reset the NAV system/stereo - it came back on and has been working perfectly ever since. I suspect it will likely go out again, but who knows.

- Back to engine codes: we had two. One was for incorrect engine oil in the vehicle. I thus learned that 5w20 is REQUIRED for the HEMI and apparently the previous owner did not know this. We had the oil changed at our trusted mechanic and made sure they put in the correct oil. Second light is for o2 (P0430). Looks like we may have to replace the cat.

- Prior to buying, I noticed that some of the HEMI engines have had some kind of problem with dropping valve seats, or some such (I'm not a mechanic, and will not pretend to be one). One of the great selling points of this particular Commander is that the previous owner had all of the cylinder heads, valves, seats, etc., machined and redone about a year ago. Also head gaskets and timing chain. He had the paperwork for the job, and I figured that was a pretty good aspect of the vehicle.

- One other thing regarding the o2 - the mechanic said it might help to pour a couple bottles of ethyl alcohol into our gas tank. He said it might bring the cat back to life. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Well, that's about it so far. Looking forward to getting involved.

James

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent links, thank you. I will post some pics ASAP. My boy has the vehicle most of the time, that selfish little *&#%@! Actually, he's going out of town with a friend this weekend, so I will have her all to myself for a few days. I'll see what I can do. I'm thinking about surprising him with a grille guard or bull bars while he's gone. I would have to find them locally in Chattanooga, though, in order to get them installed before he gets back. Finding that stuff locally seems a bit challenging so far.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Excellent links, thank you. I will post some pics ASAP. My boy has the vehicle most of the time, that selfish little *&#%@! Actually, he's going out of town with a friend this weekend, so I will have her all to myself for a few days. I'll see what I can do. I'm thinking about surprising him with a grille guard or bull bars while he's gone. I would have to find them locally in Chattanooga, though, in order to get them installed before he gets back. Finding that stuff locally seems a bit challenging so far.
Black Horse makes some nice Grille Guards for Commanders and they're reasonably priced; I had one before I got my custom front bumper;

https://www.carid.com/black-horse/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl9zdBRDgARIsAL5Nyn0YvlP5o33_Aojv1oR1_cgdSk1g8Td4KqlFNymBCOgUa-7agd_yNCUaAjDKEALw_wcB

You can also find them on amazon.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hello everyone, new to the forum. Hope everyone is well.

Just some info about me. My son recently turned 16 and got his DL, so we set about searching for a vehicle. Settled on a 2006 Commander (specifics in profile). He loves it (and so do I), and I've set about trying to familiarize myself with Jeep in general, and the Commander in particular. Came across this site and thought it would be good to join. Here some interesting things that we've experienced with the vehicle so far:

- We drove about 2 hours to buy the Commander. On the way home, with me driving, the Nav screen went on the fritz (uh oh). In fact, the NAV screen completely went out, and half the stereo stopped working. Found out through later research that this is fairly common.

- The following day, the vehicle threw an engine light (again, uh oh). Found a youtube video about how to pull the codes - i.e., turning the key from off to on in rapid succession a few times. That worked to get the codes AND - surprise, surprise - it also reset the NAV system/stereo - it came back on and has been working perfectly ever since. I suspect it will likely go out again, but who knows.

- Back to engine codes: we had two. One was for incorrect engine oil in the vehicle. I thus learned that 5w20 is REQUIRED for the HEMI and apparently the previous owner did not know this. We had the oil changed at our trusted mechanic and made sure they put in the correct oil. Second light is for o2 (P0430). Looks like we may have to replace the cat.

- Prior to buying, I noticed that some of the HEMI engines have had some kind of problem with dropping valve seats, or some such (I'm not a mechanic, and will not pretend to be one). One of the great selling points of this particular Commander is that the previous owner had all of the cylinder heads, valves, seats, etc., machined and redone about a year ago. Also head gaskets and timing chain. He had the paperwork for the job, and I figured that was a pretty good aspect of the vehicle.

- One other thing regarding the o2 - the mechanic said it might help to pour a couple bottles of ethyl alcohol into our gas tank. He said it might bring the cat back to life. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Well, that's about it so far. Looking forward to getting involved.

James
Sounds like you got a pretty good Jeep, especially with the head work. The navigation system problems are fairly common, but you should check for leaks just in case there's something more serious going on.

The Jeep will occasionally throw incorrect engine oil errors; this can happen regardless of whether you've got 5W20 or not. My Jeep throws it every once in awhile, even though I use 5W20 and regularly change the oil with full synthetic. It's not something you should be overly concerned about; the sensor threshold is just too fine.

I doubt you'll have any luck reviving the cats; once they're gone, that's pretty much it. But you should check over the entire system before assuming the cat is done; there are a lot of causes for a P0430, including faulty O2 sensors, poor engine efficiency, etc. You especially don't want to replace a cat and have it immediately clog again because you have a leaky injector or bad spark plug.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you got a pretty good Jeep, especially with the head work. The navigation system problems are fairly common, but you should check for leaks just in case there's something more serious going on.

The Jeep will occasionally throw incorrect engine oil errors; this can happen regardless of whether you've got 5W20 or not. My Jeep throws it every once in awhile, even though I use 5W20 and regularly change the oil with full synthetic. It's not something you should be overly concerned about; the sensor threshold is just too fine.

I doubt you'll have any luck reviving the cats; once they're gone, that's pretty much it. But you should check over the entire system before assuming the cat is done; there are a lot of causes for a P0430, including faulty O2 sensors, poor engine efficiency, etc. You especially don't want to replace a cat and have it immediately clog again because you have a leaky injector or bad spark plug.
I’ve been wondering about the cat. I drove the Commander for a while this evening. A couple of times, I noticed a fairly strong exhaust smell inside the truck. Would that more likely be caused by a leak in the exhaust or the cat? Or could it be either?

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I’ve been wondering about the cat. I drove the Commander for a while this evening. A couple of times, I noticed a fairly strong exhaust smell inside the truck. Would that more likely be caused by a leak in the exhaust or the cat? Or could it be either?

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.
That sounds like an exhaust leak; even if the cats were clogged, the fumes would still need to exit through the tailpipe. An exhaust leak before the cats could also explain the codes you're getting.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Welcome almost neighbor. Another trick on the Commander is to remove the battery positive cable for about 5 minutes to reset everything. This will require you to set the Radio stations seat positions and clock and possibly others. But it causes the sensors to start fresh and "learn" what is going on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome almost neighbor. Another trick on the Commander is to remove the battery positive cable for about 5 minutes to reset everything. This will require you to set the Radio stations seat positions and clock and possibly others. But it causes the sensors to start fresh and "learn" what is going on.
Good advice, thank you. I will definitely give that a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds like an exhaust leak; even if the cats were clogged, the fumes would still need to exit through the tailpipe. An exhaust leak before the cats could also explain the codes you're getting.
Thank you for the input. I will do a little digging on the forum to determine how to locate an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to touch base on the Commander with something interesting. As noted, we had the p0430 code and I've suspected an exhaust leak. We took the vehicle to a local shop and they indicated that the muffler was almost entirely gone, but couldn't find any other leak. We had them replace the muffler, but I was under the impression that a muffler generally would NOT cause a p0430 issue since it's after the cats in the exhaust chain. For about 80 miles after the new muffler was installed, the engine light stayed on. However, on startup this morning, the light was gone.

What seems even stranger to me relates to the tire pressure monitoring system. Since we bought the vehicle, that TPS light has been on, indicating low pressure in one of the operational tires and the spare. The tires are only about 3 weeks old and I've checked all the pressure, so no issues, just figured the batteries in the sensors were dead. Not concerned about it. The strange thing is that, when the engine light turned off, so did the TPS system lights - i.e., on startup this morning, both the engine light warning and TPS system warning were gone.

I did not, at any point, disconnect the vehicle battery to reset the system, so I'm not really sure what to make of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts