Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive read different topics on performance mods and I have a few questions and/or adivce. I have a 06 limited 5.7, i installed a 63 Series k&n about a month ago and Im looking to do a few more performance mods.

For exhaust would it be better to get full system or just muffler? I was leaning towards flowmaster either way. Is the superchips computer modifier the only/best one for the commander? Do throttle body spacers make much of a difference and if so which one would be best? What other mods would make a difference as well? Thanks in advance for and for any help!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I also have the 2006 with the 5.7

I went with the AEM Bruite Force CAI, Gibson 3" exhaust and Superchips programmer. I am not sure you can do much better then that combination.

I would not mess with the throttle body spacer on the hemi if you have the CAI, I cannot believe the difference would be measurable.

There is a Jet Chip Stage II for sale by a member and that might be a good option if you do not want to spend the money for the programmer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i already have the k&n intake kit on it, is the AEM better? You have a full Gibson exhaust and is that the best brand performance wise? Thanks for the reply btw

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I liked the Brute Force because it had the chromes steel pipe which added appearance to the engine compartment, the tube is larg which allows more air and I was told that the metal pipe was better then the rubber one.

I have the full Gibson exhaust which means larger pipe all the way back which was another selling factor, Remember to get good horsepower you need to both get lots of air in but also get it back out as well.

Honestly I don't think any brand is that much better then any other, it really depends on what you. I like the looks of my products and the sound of the air intake & exhaust is pretty cool too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok gotcha. so as far as sound goes, does the gibson sound like its been defiantly upgraded, but not like a mustang gt? or can i not escape that sound due to it being a 5.7L? and what about headers, worth getting any? sorry to keep asking questions, i havent had the commander for long

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
As far as I know there are no headers available for the Commander. But I can tell you that the HP improvement from the CAI and the Gibson is noticeable.

Here is a thread on Track Times from when I raced a couple other Commanders at the track.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks so much for your help, i will be ordering my exhaust this week, also i was looking at the superchips programmer and think i might go with that as well. thanks again for your help

·
Registered
33 Posts
Let me know how the superchips programmer works for you. I was interested in that as well.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
As far as I know there are no headers available for the Commander. But I can tell you that the HP improvement from the CAI and the Gibson is noticeable.
I almost positive you can get headers for the 5.7 Liter HEMI. There are so many other vehicle's that use that engine. You would mostlikely just need custom exhaust from the header back. Also I dont thing spacer would be an issue. If the can fit a 5.7 liter HEMI in a JK then im sure there is enough room in the engine compartment to fit them.

EDIT: Now that I think about it I remember one of our forum members having "headers" in their signature. Ill try to find out who it was. Maybe they can point you in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Try contacting this forum member. He states he has a banks header.

nashmaximusoriya

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i tried to do a little research and no luck finding any headers specifically for the commander, i sent nashmaximusoriya a message to see how he did it. i have a friend who is a mechanic and he said he can get me a borla exhaust system for $475, worth it?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
i tried to do a little research and no luck finding any headers specifically for the commander, i sent nashmaximusoriya a message to see how he did it. i have a friend who is a mechanic and he said he can get me a borla exhaust system for $475, worth it?
IMHO Borla is one of the better exhaust systems on the market. Im not sure if anyone has one on their XK but I bet it would sounds good on the v8's.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
My guess is that its not a "true dual" exhaust. The muffler probablly had a single inlet and dual outlet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A true dual would be very possible, especially if you don't have a bunch of extras under your jeep, like skids. take it to any muffler shop and they should be able to bend a custom pipe for you. Then they find a spot for the second muffler. The only thing I'm not too sure about is the headers. I don't know if the stock headers meet before connecting to the exhaust. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure it should work.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
A true dual would be very possible, especially if you don't have a bunch of extras under your jeep, like skids. take it to any muffler shop and they should be able to bend a custom pipe for you. Then they find a spot for the second muffler. The only thing I'm not too sure about is the headers. I don't know if the stock headers meet before connecting to the exhaust. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure it should work.
You are correct, the headers flow into two cats and then they Y in right as the exhaust goes into the muffler. It would be possible to run a true dual exhaust from the cats but my suggestion is to have one muffler and use it as your H pipe (dual inlet/dual exhaust). There is not much room under the XK for two mufflers but after the muffler you could continue the dual pipes out the back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i like the look and the sound of it so i think im gonna go with a dual outlet. should i wait to use the superchips programmer until after i get the exhaust installed? i have a power commander for my bike and it had an extra setting for aftermarket exhaust and i was wondering if the superchips is the same?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts