Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CODE RED!

I've been fighting with changing the plugs on my Hemi, and now I'm in deep doo-doo. While removing the coil pack, one o the boots tore off and is in the head. How do I get it out? This has happened twice now. The first one I was able to wrestle out with the help of some WD-40, but I'm afraid this next one might not want to budge. I also have 2 more cylinders to complete. I'm exhausted, and it's late. How do I get this boot out? Also, can I buy a replacement boot at a store like Autozone?

Please help!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
i am reading your post and wishing i could help.

what year??

DESCRIPTION

The 5.7L engine (345 CID) eight-cylinder engine is a 90° V-Type lightweight, deep skirt cast iron block, aluminum heads, single cam, overhead valve engine with hydraulic roller tappets. The heads incorporate splayed valves with a hemispherical style combustion chamber and dual spark plugs. The cylinders are numbered from front to rear; 1, 3, 5, 7 on the left bank and 2, 4, 6, 8 on the right bank. The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2007. According to your description, it is cylinder 3 that has the problem at the moment (driver's side, second from the front). I really need some ideas of what I can do short of having the head pulled.

·
Registered
282 Posts
would a wire hanger work? bend the end slightly with a pair of needle nose pliers. empty the bag on your vacum and try to suck it out. hard to give ideas without seeing a pic. in the head or spark plug tube? dont think a rubber boot would do much damage. it would probably end up in the oil pan.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would a wire hanger work? bend the end slightly with a pair of needle nose pliers. empty the bag on your vacum and try to suck it out. hard to give ideas without seeing a pic. in the head or spark plug tube? dont think a rubber boot would do much damage. it would probably end up in the oil pan.
Hmmm.... Isn't the spark plug tube part of the cylinder head...? Anyway, yes, in the spark plug tube. I guess I wasn't clear enough. When I was taking off the oil pack, on of the rubber boots tore off at the coil pack and remained in the hole. :(

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Success!

What a PITA! :( Finally with a bit of coaxing, poking around with a long thin screwdriver, and some WD-40, I got the damn boot out of the hole. When I pulled the spark plug out, I could see where the boot was sticking to the plug. I wonder if there wasn't enough grease applied to the boot at the factory to revent this. I was able to get to the last 2 cylinders in the back without much trouble and replace those plugs.

So now I will stop at the dealership tomorrow morning to see if I can purchase 2 boots since this happened on 2 cylinders with the same results. Today I was running around to Autozone, Advance Auto, and Pep Boys, and no one carries the whole coil much less the boots. This seems to be a dealer only item.

I'll check in with everone tomorrow.

Thanks to all suggestions.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crap... You can't buy just the boots. You have to buy the whole coil pack. Soooo stupid... Plus, none of the local dealers have it in stock, so I had to order it. I should have it tomorrow morning. For me, it's about $40 including tax. I've seen it online for less.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So to wrap up my little story, I got the new coil pack from the dealership yesterday, and all is well once again with my Commander.

It's interesting that the new coil pack already had some grease in the boots for a quick install. It didn't look like much, though, so I added some dielectric grease that I was putting in all the boots during this install. I don't need this happening again in 30,000 miles. I also used anti-seize on the plugs and torqued them down to 13ft-lbs.

The truck is running smooth, and I'm wondering if I'll pick up any extra mileage.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Glad to hear a happy ending to the story, let us know if your mileage improves.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Follow-up

Here are a couple of pics of the plugs I pulled from the Hemi.

Can you tell which ones gave me trouble...? The 5th from the right was the worst one. :(

Remember to use dielectric grease during your next install, or you may need to use one of these on the coil packs: :stickpoke:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I had the same problem today when I changed the spark plugs ,, one boot in one coil came off ,, I just changed one plug in that coil and kept the other one and put the coil back again. so its now working on one spark plug. till I get a new coil. and I will try to get the boot of the head !!

Any Ideas?

Do I really need to replace the coil ?? what about glowing the boot back on the coil ?! ,, as the engine now is work just fine with no problems and Check Engine light didn't come on.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi Ahmed! It sucks that happened, but it's nice to know I am not alone in the boat! ;)

If you look at my previous pictures you will see that the boots on 2 plugs were really stuck on the plugs. There is some rubber substance from the boots left on the plugs.

I tried everything to pull the boots off without damaging them, but they were stuck on pretty well. I tried snaking down thin screwdriver and a stiff yet pliable wire down inside the boot around the plug to break the bond, but to no avail. Also, I couldn't find any good way to grip the boot to pull on it. I ended up using narrow locking pliers, but the rubber just tore.

Unfortunately, at that time I could not buy a replacement boot anywhere. (That's so stupid!) Since I had the same problem on 2 cylinders, I pulled 1 boot from 1 coil pack and put it on the other. This way, 1 pack was complete, and I only had to buy another one. Make some calls and look around. Maybe boots are now available or accessible in your area. I guess if you have the time and a good parts store around you, you could see if boots for other vehicles would fit as well.

If you have any other questions, just give a shout!

Good luck!

:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, it's been a while, but I think that long term follow ups can be a great learning tool for all.

So yesterday I set out to replace the plugs on my hemi. It's been about 90k miles on the Autolite Iridiums, and I put a fresh set of the same ones back in. With regard to the install, everything went smoothly this time. The take-home message is: don't be stingy with the dielectric grease on the spark plug boots!!! All of the coil packs came off without the slightest issue. I highly recommend to all whether you have a hemi or not, that you put a healthy shot of dielectric grease on the boots when swapping plugs. You will not regret it the next time you have to work on plugs!

Also, concerning replacements boots... They are now available! After my fiasco 4 years ago, I have an extra coil pack without any boots left over. I bought some replacement boots (just in case!) from Pep Boys for ~$6 a piece. They look exactly the same like OEM. Advanced Auto also has some replacements, but they run about $10 a piece.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Thanks for the update !!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts