Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi XKers,

I think I messed up.

Long story short I think I installed the cv axle wrong?

I lifted my Jeep with the 2” RC level spacer lift and broke the boot on the passenger side cv boot(boot closest to the wheel bearing) in the process. I replaced the entire cv axle, and after driving it for a little for a couple months I rotated my tires to find both boots on the replaced passenger side cv axle are completely ripped open and grease is everywhere.

I’m assuming I didn’t do the install on the cv axle correctly? Or is the lift has some effect to it? I know when I’ve turned the steering wheel to the max the Jeep doesn’t like to comply, maybe this is a cause of extraneous stress on those boots?

Looking for advice to fix it for good :(

·
Super Moderator
5,843 Posts
Hi XKers,

I think I messed up.

I lifted my Jeep with the 2” RC level spacer lift and broke the boot on the passenger side cv boot(boot closest to the wheel bearing) in the process. I replaced the entire cv axle, and after driving it for a little for a couple months I rotated my tires to find both boots on the replaced passenger side cv axle are completely ripped open and grease is everywhere.

I’m assuming I didn’t do the install on the cv axle correctly? Or is the lift has some effect to it? I know when I’ve turned the steering wheel to the max the Jeep doesn’t like to comply, maybe this is a cause of extraneous stress on those boots?

The proper install of a 2 inch RC lift would not have caused that. I think it's safe to say that you did something wrong - possibly you installed the lift improperly, assuming that you did it yourself.

My advice - take your XK in to a qualified shop, before you make things any worse and cause further damage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi XKers,

I think I messed up.

View attachment 40787
Just an observation, the clamps on the boots in the picture look to be after market boot replacement type, not factory/oem. A possibility is that they were made from a bad/cheap batch of rubber. Was this a remanufactured shaft? Or economy priced? For the most part it is best to get OEM replacement parts. It is very rare for the inner boot to go bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi XKers,

I think I messed up.

View attachment 40787
I have some experience with a similar issue. My front passenger balljoint had a catastrophic failure while going over a railroad crossing with a little speed that unloaded my front end and sent my wheel under my front end. This ripped out the passenger CV axle. I had my XK towed to a garage and they used a cheap Chinese replacement CV axle which didn't work with my 2in spacer lift. The rubber boot pinched and started to spit out a distinct blue Chinese grease. The original Mopar CV axle on the driver's side looked perfect without a pinched boot despite the 2in lift. After haggling with the garage, they agreed to reinstall the passenger CV axle with a Mopar. Sure enough, this worked and I've put 10k miles on it since then with zero issues. The Mopars can take greater angulation. While holding both the cheap Chinese and Mopar CV axles in hand simultaneously, the difference is substantial. I ordered mine from Rock Auto. If I wasn't dealing with a reluctant mechanic, I would have gone with a reman Mopar CV axle. Let us know how this turns out for you. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts