Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Commander Sport 4WD QTI 3.7L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 3.7 XK.
Engine will just die unexpectedly. It will start right back up every time. It could die seconds after or be just fine for a day. It's usually on the low end of RPMs but now has started while drive about 45. If driving or holding gas at low RPMs it will bog down. If Gas is not applied it will die right away.
Warning lights,
engine. Multiple misfires
TCU, red lighting bolt
Right when engine dies the TCU light come on.
I've replaced the TCU and did not help. Has new sparkplugs and I keep up with regular maintenance. Battery and alternator replaced earlier this year.

About 3 years ago I rebuilded the engine but did not replace fuel injectors or coil packs. Since the problem was a small crack on one head.

·
Registered
06 XK 5.7L, 16 JKU Rubi, 71 Fj40
3 Posts
When you check your codes, check the Jeep OEM enhanced codes if available….this will look at PCM, TPMS, etc and drill down on issues. I’m dealing with a similar problem with unexpected engine shitoffs, right after startup and often while driving…narrowing it down to a SKIM issue,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take it to Oriley's and scan it. The only codes
08 3.7 XK.
Engine will just die unexpectedly. It will start right back up every time. It could die seconds after or be just fine for a day. It's usually on the low end of RPMs but now has started while drive about 45. If driving or holding gas at low RPMs it will bog down. If Gas is not applied it will die right away.
Warning lights,
TCU, red lighting bolt
I've replaced the TCU and did not help. Has new sparkplugs and I keep up with regular maintenance. Battery and alternator replaced earlier this year.

About 3 years ago I rebuilded the engine but did not replace fuel injectors or coil packs. Since the problem was a small crack on one head.
The only code I've
08 3.7 XK.
Warning lights,
TCU, red lighting bolt

The only code I've received is P0300 multi cylinder misfires. How ever that code has not came back over the last week with persisting troubles. I'm also going to Orily's to scan.

Now after the engine dies I have to restart it and cycle gears from park on and back to park. The transmission will not engage into drive the first or second time even while going about it slowly. How ever park, reverse, and neutral will engage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you getting any codes from a scanner?
Finally git it to throw some codes with out erasing it. As it does whenever it dies and picks back up.
Codes,
P0300, multiple cylinder misfire
P1128- closed loop fueling nit achieved - Bank 1
P0132- O2 sensor 1/1 circuit high

·
Registered
1 Posts
I take it to Oriley's and scan it. The only codes

The only code I've

The only code I've received is P0300 multi cylinder misfires. How ever that code has not came back over the last week with persisting troubles. I'm also going to Orily's to scan.

Now after the engine dies I have to restart it and cycle gears from park on and back to park. The transmission will not engage into drive the first or second time even while going about it slowly. How ever park, reverse, and neutral will engage.

I'm having the same kind of issues, I just bought a 2008 Jeep Commander w/4.7L @98K, I have my own scanner, however the only code I get is the P0303 #3 Cylinder misfire, but at times I do get strange engine caution lights ( engine oil light, the TCM light and a few others ), and the engine will die at times, I just turn it off and back on and it runs again till it doesn't, I figure it's all related to an electrical issue with one of the control modules, just don't know which one yet. I've taken it in to a dealership, but they can't seem to figure out what's wrong yet. If they ever figure out what's going on I'll post back in here, good to know I'm not alone with this issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts