Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to install a RC lift kit...long story short, I ended up melting the strut bushing. There was no way in hell that bolt was coming out; I was using a 3/4 inch impact on it and it wouldn't budge. So, now what? Can these be replaced on the vehicle? Or at all? Am I better off just getting a new control arm?.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would see if they sell a Polyurathane bushing kit. Check Energy Products, their the biggest manufactureer of poly bushings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would see if they sell a Polyurathane bushing kit. Check Energy Products, their the biggest manufactureer of poly bushings.

Thank you for the reply! I've used their products often in YJs. But I guess I'm inquiring more as to whether the bushing can be replaced while the control arm is still on the vehicle. It's already F'd up my week enough...I don't really want to pull the arm if I don't have to. I'm still not sure who is doing this job in 5 hours, but will guess that those claiming that are full of condensed crap or they live in the desert.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mine took a day and a half with no power tools. Agree not as easy as advertised. Good luck on bushing replacement. I would think it could be replaced on the vehicle using a c-clamp and socket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And so the job continues....After destroying the control arm, I was able to locate a used one and installed it. Now the alignment is way off. So I decided to start on the rear today; passenger side wheel came right off, drivers side, two lug nuts stuck. Went clean down to a 17 mm on them, beat into place with a sledgehammer, no luck. Took it to an indy tire center that probably services 200 cars in a given week, and all they managed to do was melt my center cap before running out of acetylene. So after sitting in their waiting room from 11 am until 3 pm, they came out to inform me that there is nothing they can do. Called 2 other tire shops that wanted nothing to do with it. Brought it home and torched it off myself. As far as I'm concerned, that wheel is now junk; I don't trust aluminum that has been heated that much, so I put the spare on, which has about 30% of the clear coat destroyed from salt and crap. Now in the market for new wheels. I didn't really have a point to this post, other than to show the other side of what the "5 hour install" can look like. For those questioning my mechanical ability and access to tools, I'm a journeyman union millwright; prior to that I worked for 7 years as a journeyman tool and die maker. Installer beware!

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
And so the job continues....After destroying the control arm, I was able to locate a used one and installed it. Now the alignment is way off. So I decided to start on the rear today; passenger side wheel came right off, drivers side, two lug nuts stuck. Went clean down to a 17 mm on them, beat into place with a sledgehammer, no luck. Took it to an indy tire center that probably services 200 cars in a given week, and all they managed to do was melt my center cap before running out of acetylene. So after sitting in their waiting room from 11 am until 3 pm, they came out to inform me that there is nothing they can do. Called 2 other tire shops that wanted nothing to do with it. Brought it home and torched it off myself. As far as I'm concerned, that wheel is now junk; I don't trust aluminum that has been heated that much, so I put the spare on, which has about 30% of the clear coat destroyed from salt and crap. Now in the market for new wheels. I didn't really have a point to this post, other than to show the other side of what the "5 hour install" can look like. For those questioning my mechanical ability and access to tools, I'm a journeyman union millwright; prior to that I worked for 7 years as a journeyman tool and die maker. Installer beware!
There is no adjustment for the rear. Only the front can be adjusted for alignment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no adjustment for the rear. Only the front can be adjusted for alignment.

I know. I was just stating that after doing the front end, it was out of alignment. Didn't even have to touch the back to help with that! lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts