Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my front drive shaft went out. When put it in drive and it just clanks bangs all that normal stuff with shattered cv, BUT it will not move?? Shouldn't it move with the rear tires? Cause we are in the middle of no where far from home I was going to pop the drive line off and go with the back tires like just rwd to get us some where to get help. But it won't move at all. The case is fine (it spins but the shaft stays in place) so my question is why won't my back tires make me go go? Sorry if this is in the wrong section im still very new to the forum. Thanks guys I appreciate any help right now.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Youll have to put it in 4wd Lo to lock it and drive home slow...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ive been meaning to try it myself, but what if you turn off traction control and esp? Will it move then?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nope. Only 4 Lo will lock the front and rear together. Otherwise, the clutches slip in the tcase causing the issue.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The WK/XK's won't move with either of the drive shafts disconnected. Your options are to repair/replace your driveshaft or have it towed home (on a flatbed). The XK's use the same driveshafts as the WK's based on transmission/drive type. So keep that in mind if you're looking for used.
Hint: If you're looking for tech help, add your vehicle description. Since I'm a psychic, I can guess you've got a 4wd XK, but that's as far as I can go.

·
Registered
424 Posts
not true. if you have 2 speed NV245 with hi/lo, you can put in 4Lo and the jeep will move with either driveshaft removed. Must have one connected though.
i just did this 2 weeks ago. drove several miles with rear driveshaft disconnected...

Not sure about the 1 speed NV140...

·
Registered
145 Posts
drm4633
You're right. I misspoke. But if you're far from home, (not just a couple of miles) in the middle of nowhere driving out in low range even in 5th gear is an unappetizing proposition. As well as putting a lot of stress on the transfercase shift motor/clutch assy.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It would take time but not sure of any more stress than normal. Tcase is locked and not hindered by front / rear drivelines connected to each other. But yeah probably wouldnt want to do cross country but id do it for 50mi if i had too instead of getting towed. Especially in a remote place.

Also, fyi, not all driveshafts work as the the diff yokes can be different between years and models (wk vs. xk).

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my front drive shaft went out. When put it in drive and it just clanks bangs all that normal stuff with shattered cv, BUT it will not move?? Shouldn't it move with the rear tires? Cause we are in the middle of no where far from home I was going to pop the drive line off and go with the back tires like just rwd to get us some where to get help. But it won't move at all. The case is fine (it spins but the shaft stays in place) so my question is why won't my back tires make me go go? Sorry if this is in the wrong section im still very new to the forum. Thanks guys I appreciate any help right now.
Sorry I wasn't on the side earlier when you were having the trouble listen that happened to me one time and I disconnected the ABS sensors at the fender Wells what was happening is the brakes were locking up on the front right and of course the truck would not move hope this is some help

·
Administrator
6,939 Posts
Sorry I wasn't on the side earlier when you were having the trouble listen that happened to me one time and I disconnected the ABS sensors at the fender Wells what was happening is the brakes were locking up on the front right and of course the truck would not move hope this is some help
@Carl;

Please read the New Member Required Reading below and complete your profile signature as directed, in order to comply with the forum rules;

Thanks & welcome aboard.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am curious if the OP truck was stock or modified with a Lift and larger tires?
As i am looking at a set of Hardened axles for my truck now, and wondering how often the stock CV joints go out ?????

·
Registered
424 Posts
CVs were in reference to the front drive shaft CVs. Dont think the axles are the issue but rather the angle of the CV joints causing them to fail prematurely.

·
Registered
31 Posts
OP doesn't say his truck was lifted, But i would agree with you an Incorrectly lift truck would put stress on the CVs

But so does Tire size and engine Torq and how its driven.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts