Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
bought an 07 Commander, dealer ran the VIN, says Tow Group option was included. The hitch on there, looks all Jeep installed, whether those are done by the factory or the dealer. But, there is NO info on which hitch.

I found one spec that said only Class II or Class IV were available as an option. Don't know if that's really correct.

The hole for the receiver on mine is a 2"X2" opening. Typically a 2" X 2" is a Class III or Class IV hitch. Class I & Class II are typically 1 1/4" X 1 1/4" in size. But..... with some manufacturers there are 'some' exemptions to this and they have Class II's with a 2X2" hole.

So, I have no idea which "hitch" and class of hitch this really is. Anyone know a good way to positively ID which one it is ? Talked to the 2 dealers here, and one even looked it over well & they can't tell me either, except that it's factory installed.

Literally, the only thing we can find on the hitch is one number , 32090382AB. That's it. Not stamped with a weight limit that I can find. At least not any obvious place. If you know of any locations it "should" have number or capacity or class stamped on it, please let me know.

Any ideas how to ID this thing and the class ? I'm wanting to make sure minimally a Class III 5000 lb hitch.

·
Super Moderator
14,966 Posts
Post a pic of the hitch. Also, which engine do you have and is it 4WD ? You can get a build sheet from Chrysler for free. It will tell you everything that was on your vehicle at time of manufacture. If you bought it used a previous owner may have made modifications.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
* Engine is the 4.7L , 4X4, Trail Ready (which I also verified).
* VIN info shows Tow Group option was on the vehicle. Also, MOPAR stickers on wiring and on hitch, but no capacity, #'s, etc. on it. The wiring plug is installed into a permanent bracket /part of hitch, dealer 'visually' verified that's the factory installation.
* VIN info just says .. "Tow Group option" was on the vehicle, not which hitch was installed.

Below is exactly what it looks like. I will try to post some underneath pic's later, but right now it's covered in "ice" from the storm that moved thru last night.

·
Super Moderator
14,966 Posts
That is the factory installed Class IV hitch. The 4.7L engine is rated to tow no more than 6500 lbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts