Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago my resivor was to the full line and I popped the hood today to just check out my engine like I like to do lol and I noticed my coolant is almost down to the fill line! I looked by the weep on the radiator and their is no sign of leaking no sing of leaking from the water pump and the engine always stays at the proper temp, also no leaking on the ground in the garage where we park it...... I am stumped please help.:42:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and checked oil no sign of leaking int there.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Sometimes that just happens. If the water pump is leaking and you see no coolant puddles anywhere then nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye on the over flow tank.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So u think I should just fill the res back up and keep an eye on it?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
My last response was supposed to say if the water pump isn't leaking......

Yes, fill the coolant tank to the full line and keep an eye on the level and look for any puddles under your jeep. Everyonce and I while I have to add coolant too. Not sure where its going but not on the ground that's for sure

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Make sure you check it when cold or hot - drastic difference between hot and cold on the level of the overflow tank. Check at the same temperature each time. Goes down when cold - up when hot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
07 u were spot on... i went to the jeep dealership and bought a gallon of coolant when I got home it was right at the full line good call now I have a gallon of coolant good to have on hand. :banger:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Make sure you check it when cold or hot - drastic difference between hot and cold on the level of the overflow tank. Check at the same temperature each time. Goes down when cold - up when hot.

Where are you getting that info from. I've owned my Commander almost 6 years now and the coolant level in the overflow tank stays right at the full line when cold and right at the full line when hot. It has never changed due to coolant temp. Fill it to the full line and call it a day

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Where are you getting that info from. I've owned my Commander almost 6 years now and the coolant level in the overflow tank stays right at the full line when cold and right at the full line when hot. It has never changed due to coolant temp. Fill it to the full line and call it a day
Every car I ever owned (12) which has a collant overflow tank on it goes up when hot and down when cold - see http://www.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system7.htm
If your's isn't doing that you may need to top off the radiator so it is full and does not have air in it. On my Commander when cold it is just above the "Add" line and when hot it reads almost to the "Full" line. A lot of cars have the tank marked "Hot" and "Cold"

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Every car I ever owned (12) which has a collant overflow tank on it goes up when hot and down when cold - see http://www.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system7.htm
If your's isn't doing that you may need to top off the radiator so it is full and does not have air in it. On my Commander when cold it is just above the "Add" line and when hot it reads almost to the "Full" line. A lot of cars have the tank marked "Hot" and "Cold"
My radiator is full to the top. My Coolant tank was at the full line when I left for work and 30 min drive later still at the full line. My coolant system is working fine and never had any issues with it 130,000 miles later. My engine has a threaded plug on the top of the motor just before the upper radiator hose which I use to fill the coolant in the engine after the radiator is filled and i used that same hole to get all the air pockets out of the system. I leave the plug out, let the engine get to operating temp with the heat on high and all the air pockets come out. I have a 4.7 liter and you have a Hemi. You don't have that plug I do

Btw I'm a mechanic. I don't need to read an article on how stuff works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
coolant leak

I have a 2006 with the 5.7 Hemi. I am having the same problem. Coolant disappears but I have no idea to where! I am taking it into the shop in about two weeks to have it checked. I will report back the findings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any progress on this? I have a 2007 that has developed the issue and thus far the dealership is stumped.

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
Any progress on this? I have a 2007 that has developed the issue and thus far the dealership is stumped.
@N4965;

Welcome to the forum; Your first post on the forum should have been an introduction to the Forum post in the New Member Section; Please read the New Member Required Reading below & complete your user profile as directed;

That being said, post some pics of your Commander when you can;

Here are some links if you need to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.c...unt/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

4 inch XK Superlift;
AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAj...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

Jeep Steel Bumpers
4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...catalog%2Fjeep

·
Registered
2 Posts
coolant leak

I have a 2006 with the 5.7 Hemi. I am having the same problem. Coolant disappears but I have no idea to where! I am taking it into the shop in about two weeks to have it checked. I will report back the findings.
Here is simple possible answer with my story. 09 commander 4.7
Overflow tank was just below fill. Strange. No leak no drips no puddle no signs of anything. Not overheating
Cked oil for head gasket leak. Oil was perfect. Cked transmission fluid for radiator failure. Tranny fluid perfect
So I changed RADIATOR CAP. Even though it looked perfect and no steam stain on under hood
All perfect. $4.75

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
Here is simple possible answer with my story. 09 commander 4.7
Overflow tank was just below fill. Strange. No leak no drips no puddle no signs of anything. Not overheating
Cked oil for head gasket leak. Oil was perfect. Cked transmission fluid for radiator failure. Tranny fluid perfect
So I changed RADIATOR CAP. Even though it looked perfect and no steam stain on under hood
All perfect. $4.75
@Kcwent;

Welcome to the forum; Your first post on the forum should have been an introduction to the Forum post in the New Member Section; Please read the New Member Required Reading below & complete your user profile as directed;

I had a similar problem with my radiator cap shortly after I bought my Commander - but I did have signs of a drip and occasional small puddles of coolant on the ground - and you guessed it, it was the radiator cap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Kcwent;

I had a similar problem with my radiator cap shortly after I bought my Commander - but I did have signs of a drip and occasional small puddles of coolant on the ground - and you guessed it, it was the radiator cap.
Curious. Was your cap looking perfect no corrosion before replacing ????

1 - 19 of 19 Posts