Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am planning on getting the Daystar 2 inch lift in the next couple weeks and was starting to look for tires. I want to spend around $700 on tires so I was debating between the Kenda Klever MTs and the Goodyear wrangler Authority's from Walmart. Which one would be better? Or is there better options for the same price in a 265 70 17?
Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have tried lots of tires through the years, as we have always lived remote. 8 miles to the asphalt now. I keep going back to the BFG All Terrain KO. 3 ply sidewall a tough tire, quiet on the street does excellent off road. Good mileage if you rotate them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If your ok with the all terrains I have been told numerous times about the Yokohama Geolander ATs being a good tire. A friend has a set and loves them. I have the Goodyear Duratracs and they are an amazing tire off road. they are also street friendly but the Duratracs are a little out of your price range. the Geolanders are within your price range. All 4 for 556.00.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I like the Kenda better myself. For off-roading, the more aggressive the side lugs the better. You're not at the mercy of ruts and road edges like a non-side lugged and/or squared off, straight sided A/T tire. The Kenda is more rounded, which also helps on climbing out of ruts. My Toyo M/T's are much the same, and I can decide when to leave a deep rut, rather than stay trapped in it until it ends.

Might do some review searching on Google first to see if one or the other wears out too fast. Pavement eats up any deep knobby tires, and they howl, Such is the life of serious off-road tires.

Just expect your MPG to drop, I lost about 3 MPG by going to the big M/T's. They're phenomenal off-road though, and I can live with crap MPG since I have a car for daily driving.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been running on Goodyear Duratrac's 265 70 17 with the Daystar 2" lift for just under two years. This has been a great combination lift/tires for the highway, camper towing, and our annual trek to the Catskills Mountains Off Roading event.

It's been great to add the bigger tires and increase the clearance without wrecking the ride or handling.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I've never heard someone say they like BFG AT's prior to reading this. I've had them on many vehicles and they blow!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I run the Kenda MT's

Not as bad tire. Has good road manners outside of being noisy like any MT. Handle moderate amounts of mud. I like them and bought the 265/70/17 on ebay for 616.00 to the door. Plus 60 for mounting and balancing. Thats cheap. And they are fresh being made in december of 2012. That means a lot if you plan on having them awhile.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Not as bad tire. Has good road manners outside of being noisy like any MT.
Don't put them on and commute to work every day. :icon_biggrin: (You'll grind off those knobbies) M/T's are noisy, and there's just no getting around that. (the log truck howl) One thing I've noticed on road trips, is in heavy rain there's little if any hydroplaning. (Pavement) The open knobbies just squish the water out from underneath as fast as it comes in. Other vehicles I've been in (both street and A/T tires) "disconnect" from the road in the same depth of water. (over an inch)

My Jeep feels like it's floating on marshmallows when I drive it. I drive my Chrysler 300 AWD 90% of the time, and it's a luxury sedan, so we're not talking about a harsh ride, but those big diameter, wide tires with about 8" of rubber wrapped around the 17" rims just make nothing out of speed bumps, potholes, raised manhole covers etc. and it feels cushier than the car. Washboard gravel roads that would otherwise rattle your teeth out can be driven on at 50+ MPH and you can barely feel them.

As for getting thru snow, (city streets) with M/T's it's "Snow? What snow?" I can see the stuff on the roads, but the Jeep doesn't act any different than a dry road. Off-road, it just churns thru grill-deep stuff until you chicken out and turn back from worry. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dont get on here much...but ill make a suggestion.

Mickey Thompson MTZs. Period.

Better than KM2s, better than dura-craps, quiet on road, bite like hell off road.

Coming from a guy why wheels some of the hardest terrain in the South East...
provided I do it in an XJ. The XK is too cute to be wheeled hard

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the Kenda is a overall good tire? Just a little worried about buying an "off brand" tire but since my price range is at $700-800 I think I might go for them. If mickey thompsons weren't so expensive there's no doubt that I would get them, just a little out of the budget for a high school senior that just graduated!

·
Registered
862 Posts
The XK is too cute to be wheeled hard
Yeah, try following ME sometime. You'll think "cute." My XK has embarrassed a lot of other 4x4's, including a couple Jeeps. If an XK can do both sections of Fins 'n' Things, Roll Over hill, and the like, and the last trip to Moab there was a line of XK's doing the same stuff, then they're hardly "cute." Some of that stuff you can hardly WALK up. I had a heck of a time trying to stand on the 45 degree slick rock on Roll Over to get photos of an XK going down, then back up. I kept sliding down despite having grippy hiking boots.

I've also been on the Naches Pass run, and about all you see there are 40" meat-grinder tired, radical modded, non-licensed trailer queens, yet there I am, in my "soccer mom" Jeep. Give me an effing break.

On edit: Why not come to Silverton Co. this year for the Summit, and then you can try to find something the XK's can't make it up. I thing Black Bear pass is on the schedule this time, and it ain't for "cute" Jeeps. (It ain't for the faint of heart either)

I do have to agree on the Micky's though, they're just not a budget tire.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hey man don't worry about his little jab at XK's. Remember he said he's from the "south east". There's no "hard" terrain in the south east... its all mud bogging. Throw on some big tires, point the tires straight and slam the gas.

I will say this.... our XK's are great offroad. But they're definitely not the best vehicle for deep mud!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I will say this.... our XK's are great offroad. But they're definitely not the best vehicle for deep mud!
You're right... their idea of a "mountain" is a hill something like 800' tall. In Colorado, most of the time, the drop-offs of the ledge you're teetering on while rocked back in a 30 degree climb has a vertical drop of more than that.

Coming up out of Ouray, it's about 1,100 feet straight down a foot past the white fog line. (Highway 550) There's old wreckage below of many vehicles that strayed 8 inches to far to the right and went airborne. :scared:

As for mud, gravity sucks. My XK with all my survival and recover gear weights about 6,100 lbs. (With me in it) Heavy is BAD for pudding mud, the vehicle type matters not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not a stab at the commanders, Hell..I own one that my wife drives.
For what its worth I do not do the mud, thats dumb.

We wheel some of the nastiest rock terrain there is. Saying there is no rough terrain in the south east simply shows the lack of knowledge of the area, and wheeling in general.

Not saying the commander's arent capable..but their limitations show up quick when you get the IFS in the rocks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, try following ME sometime. You'll think "cute." My XK has embarrassed a lot of other 4x4's, including a couple Jeeps. If an XK can do both sections of Fins 'n' Things, Roll Over hill, and the like, and the last trip to Moab there was a line of XK's doing the same stuff, then they're hardly "cute." Some of that stuff you can hardly WALK up. I had a heck of a time trying to stand on the 45 degree slick rock on Roll Over to get photos of an XK going down, then back up. I kept sliding down despite having grippy hiking boots.

I've also been on the Naches Pass run, and about all you see there are 40" meat-grinder tired, radical modded, non-licensed trailer queens, yet there I am, in my "soccer mom" Jeep. Give me an effing break.

On edit: Why not come to Silverton Co. this year for the Summit, and then you can try to find something the XK's can't make it up. I thing Black Bear pass is on the schedule this time, and it ain't for "cute" Jeeps. (It ain't for the faint of heart either)

I do have to agree on the Micky's though, they're just not a budget tire.

Wait, your saying I couldnt name places your XK on 265s couldnt go?
If you want to play come on down to Black Mountain ORV the weekend of the 4th (July)..lets see if your XK can traverse lions den.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'd LOVE to go there. It won't work out though, as I'm heading to Silverton on the 20th, and the weekend before that is a family reunion out of Salem Oregon. I looked at the Black Mountain website, and it does look like a great place. It looks kind of like the ORV park out of Tillamook Oregon. As for the 4th, we might be heading to the ridges above Rimrock Lake. (Plenty of rocks up there)

About all IFS does is make the XK teeter on two tires, and you do that a lot in Moab Utah, but it still goes forward. That's where traction control and computer lockers come in. The XK is as stiff as a Tonka Toy. I've lost count of the times mine's done the two wheel rocking. Solid axles are more for the nervous factor than capability as far as I'm concerned. (Teetering does get scary, but as long as the painted surfaces stay upright...)

I can say that saying the XK is a "cute" 4x4 here is like throwing gasoline on the campfire. Them's fightin' words!

As for 4x4's etc. I've had some radical stuff myself, such as my '48 high hood with 40 inch bar-tread tractor tires, and an LT1 engine. It wouldn't even idle right from the camming, and it was a dedicated mud racer. The windshield was steel mesh, and the snorkel's intake was on top of the roll cage, and it had military sealed ignition system. (I would drown before it would) I finally got tired of having to trailer it everywhere as well as pouring money into it, and went to street legal rigs. The Commander is just another 4x4 in a long line in my life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Again.
Not saying the XK isnt capable. But you put your typical built xk (4" lift, 33s) up against an xj or a tj (or even a yj, cj) built with the same specs..they arent comparable in my opinion. The tire hang factor equals a loss in traction..sure, lockers can make up for it..but tire to ground is always nice.

For what its worth I love my 07 XK. Gets me where I want to go, and ive taken it through some trails to get to local rock climbing spots and camping spots and its done just fine.
Ground clearance sucks..but technical driving can make up for that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have wheel spacers and rough country lift with bf goodrich mud terrains, I think they have the best look imho.

Sometimes performance is more important than the way a tire looks..
Just my opinion though.

I ran 35" km2s on a toyota I had, 33" km2s on an old xj, and my last xj had 33" km1s..the km1s in my opinion are so much better offroad, clean out better, bite better..then I found mickey thompson...
I paid 200 per tire for a 35x12.50x15 Mickey MTZ. Best tire ive ever ran, hands down.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Saying there is no rough terrain in the south east simply shows the lack of knowledge of the area, and wheeling in general.
When someone says "south east" i generally think of FL, GA, SC.

I know plenty of guys from those areas that think if your truck doesnt have 44+ inch tires then its not good "offroad" (because theres nothing else to wheel down there). Actually, same goes for southern NJ where its all pinelands.

KY isn't even on my radar. I forgot that place is inhabited.

Someday I hope to know as much about wheeling as you. :kiss:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts