Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping you all may be able to help. I have a 2006 Commander with the 5.7 Hemi, about 100K miles. Never had any issues. Drove it up to MA from VA for Thanksgiving with no problems. The day we got back I we took it out and it was immediately idling rough. About 1 mile from home it started pinging and surging and got the CEL light. Limped it home, put me scanner on it and got the P0306 code for cylinder 6 misfire.

First action was to replace all the injectors and plugs. No indications of a problem on the #6 plugs. After everything was replaced, I took her for a drive and all went smooth with no issues and no CEL and nothing coming up on the scanner. Well Murphy's law came into play. My wife just called me and said it's doing the same thing (first time it's been driven since I did the repair). Same symptoms but no CEL. She said it won't let you rev above 2000 and it's stumbling and acting just like it did before.

My next inclination would be to swap out the coil packs, but I am reading that some folks have had that code show up for a broken valve spring or bent pushrod. What would you guys be doing next??

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd frankly have a Jeep tech take a look at it. Use the deeper scan tool.

Even if you're in $90 for a diagnostic fee you might still be better off than throwing parts at it without a pinpoint problem.

The plugs were probably a good replacement anyway.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Swapping coil packs is a very good suggestion.

You've changed out all the Fuel Injectors? Yes, new plugs definitely.

As well, you need to clean the connectors for the coils, the coil packs themselves and inspect the boots, if you have ignition cables from the coils to other plugs, I'd consider replacing them, they do NOT last the life of the vehicle.

Water or Dirt in the connectors to the coil pack can cause misfires, carbon tracking on the coil pack can cause shorting and misfires, bad boots or ignition cables the same.

Spraying electric cleaner or even brake cleaner, electric is better, into the connector and plug part of the coil. Scrub down the coil as well with the electric cleaner. I put dielectric grease on the connector to the coil packs as well the boots, it helps keep out the dirt and water and prevent the misfires.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Missfire

Hoping you all may be able to help. I have a 2006 Commander with the 5.7 Hemi, about 100K miles. Never had any issues. Drove it up to MA from VA for Thanksgiving with no problems. The day we got back I we took it out and it was immediately idling rough. About 1 mile from home it started pinging and surging and got the CEL light. Limped it home, put me scanner on it and got the P0306 code for cylinder 6 misfire.

First action was to replace all the injectors and plugs. No indications of a problem on the #6 plugs. After everything was replaced, I took her for a drive and all went smooth with no issues and no CEL and nothing coming up on the scanner. Well Murphy's law came into play. My wife just called me and said it's doing the same thing (first time it's been driven since I did the repair). Same symptoms but no CEL. She said it won't let you rev above 2000 and it's stumbling and acting just like it did before.

My next inclination would be to swap out the coil packs, but I am reading that some folks have had that code show up for a broken valve spring or bent pushrod. What would you guys be doing next??
And your fix was ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts