Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a Hidden Hitch (nice unit) on the ole' lady's commander, thinking I might pull a dirt or street bike around every now and again. Ran down to the auto parts store, and they had every wiring adapter known to man except Jeep. So, I headed to Walmart, only to find the same. Got online to find one, and all I can find is $70 plug in units which require a dealer to activate... What the crap is that?

Please tell me I can go the el-cheapo, four pin plug route for occasionalt light towing.

Clue? Pointer? Links?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went with the factory mounted hitch and bezel and also the factory wiring when I installed the hitch on our '06 Commander. Yes, the factory wiring does require activation by the dealer. My dealer did not know about it, and gave me a WTF look when I asked about it. The directions for the dealer to activate them came with the wiring and I left a copy for them to add to their files.

I read somewhere that the tail lights go through the ignition switch, and just tapping into the harness under the tail lights puts extra strain on the system. The factory harness uses two relays that you add to the Front Control Module and a fuse holder. You have to run the wires all the way from the battery to the rear, but it ain't too bad. I did it with only raising the front wheels up on 1/2 concrete blocks, and laying under the Jeep.

I hope this at least explains why the factory wires are used. Good luck on whatever route you choose.

The dealer charged $35.00 to activate the harness for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I'd rather pull with no lights, than to pay $100 for an adapter...

This is the only vehicle I've ever seen where you don't just come off a taillight for power. Lame.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
emack said:
Rubicon,
Did you use that Draw-Tite T-One Connector on your Jeep? If so, was it pretty easy? No need to get the dealer to activate?

Thanks,
Erik
No, I have the factory wiring on my Commander. I did recently install the Hidden Hitch (basically same concept) setup on my Cherokee and it was quite easy. You just removed some of the interior trim and there was a plug you unplugged and plugged either end into the T-connector.

As far as dealer activation I am unsure. My Cherokee is a 2001 so it was before the days of StarScan... no real configurable options on it. On my Commander it was already setup from the factory so I am not sure.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Someone up above said that the factory wiring needed to be activated by the dealer? I have the tow package original from Jeep - do I need to get the wiring harness activated also - or is that just if you add in something extra? I haven't had the occasion to use the towing capability yet, but I will in the near future and don't want to have some crazy hiccup in wiring on the day I'm supposed to be moving...

It seems silly that you'd have to activate something that was already there.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
PolarBZ said:
Someone up above said that the factory wiring needed to be activated by the dealer? I have the tow package original from Jeep - do I need to get the wiring harness activated also - or is that just if you add in something extra? I haven't had the occasion to use the towing capability yet, but I will in the near future and don't want to have some crazy hiccup in wiring on the day I'm supposed to be moving...

It seems silly that you'd have to activate something that was already there.
Only would have to be activated if you added it later. If it came from the factory (like mine) you would be good. I am still trying to find a reputable place to install the Tekonsha P3 brake controller on both my Jeeps. I would do it myself but heard some horror stories about ABS lights coming on after install or something.

·
Registered
46 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
No, I have the factory wiring on my Commander. I did recently install the Hidden Hitch (basically same concept) setup on my Cherokee and it was quite easy. You just removed some of the interior trim and there was a plug you unplugged and plugged either end into the T-connector.

As far as dealer activation I am unsure. My Cherokee is a 2001 so it was before the days of StarScan... no real configurable options on it. On my Commander it was already setup from the factory so I am not sure.
Damn. Maybe I'll just get the T-One connector and see if it works.

Thanks for the info Rubicon.

Erik

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Whew. Thanks.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I had a friend help...not all that difficult...took my time...took about 4 hours from start to finish...plus a trip to the dealer to have the wiring activated...stupidest thing they've ever come up with IMHO but what can ya do...

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you install the Chrylser trailer wiring harness you have to have the dealer use a Starscan to program the computer to recognize the harness. It takes the dealer less than five minutes to program. My dealer did it for free while we were in the service drive. Without the dealer programming the computer you will not have trailer lights.

The Chrysler wiring harness is worth the money, you unplug a connector in the back driver side bumper area and install the wiring harness between the two connector plugs. To install,it takes less than five minutes. The time consuming part is running the blue wire from the connection point to the from engine compartment. The blue wire is for an electronic brake controller if you wish to use one. The other consuming part is running the other wiring to the mount of the receiver

I removed the bumper, cut out and installed the bezel in one day, including the wiring. I really took my time to make sure I did not screw up any cuts. I triple checked everything I was going to do before doing it

Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
greg230 said:
The time consuming part is running the blue wire from the connection point to the from engine compartment.
Where did you run this wiring - inside the cab or underneath? I've got to run some auxilliary power wiring for caravan fridge etc and am debating whether to pull the interior appart and run it inside or run it underneath. I've got the factory wiring for the brake controller which ends out near the trailer plug, but for this additional wiring I am going to have to run the wires somewhere.

·
Registered
717 Posts
outback6 said:
Where did you run this wiring - inside the cab or underneath? I've got to run some auxilliary power wiring for caravan fridge etc and am debating whether to pull the interior appart and run it inside or run it underneath. I've got the factory wiring for the brake controller which ends out near the trailer plug, but for this additional wiring I am going to have to run the wires somewhere.
I don't know about Greg but I ran mine underneath

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jeeper64 said:
I don't know about Greg but I ran mine underneath
Any particular route underneath? i want to keep the wires up and out of the way. I was thinking of running them parallel to the water/aircon piping that goes back to the 3rd row aircon/heater system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts